• In Human Resources since 1989• In several different HR roles, including: Talent Acquisition, HR
Generalist, Learning, Organization Development, HR Leader, and Consultant
• Diverse work environments: McKesson, Clorox, Credence Systems, TriNet, and Consulting
• MS in Counseling with an emphasis in Organizational Behavior• Designed, implemented and lead Talent Management
processes in multiple organizations
Currently:Vice President, Human Resources
Topcon America Corporation
Information about TopconInformation about Topcon• Global leader in developing and
manufacturing precision positioning solutions
• Largest selection of innovative precision GPS and GNSS systems, commercial lasers, optical instruments, positioning control and machine control products, and software
• For survey, civil engineering, construction and agriculture industries, and other emerging markets
• Need to continue innovation while building infrastructure
• $500M growing to $1B in revenue• Medical Business in Americas $80M
AgendaAgenda• Background• Overview• Organization Review• Talent Assessment• Development
Trends driving Talent DevelopmentTrends driving Talent Development
Org Review / Talent AssessmentOrg Review / Talent AssessmentDemand-side:•Understand the organization capability needed for company goal achievement•Create a forum for collaborative organization design and development•Determine roles needed to drive business successSupply-side:•Develop shared view of leadership talent•Ensure development actions take place
The goals is 3 Rights: Have the right person ready for the right position at the right time!
Org Review / Talent Development ProcessOrg Review / Talent Development Process• Semi-annual review process and alignment meeting• Do first time “top-down” with Exec team• Going forward complete “bottom-up”• Requires good preparation• Review has two parts:
1. Organization and business / function review• Key business drivers• Organization design• Outcomes: prioritized org changes, coordinated org redesign
Part 2: Talent Assessment•P2 Placement•Performance and Potential details for all those assessed
•Outcomes: Individual feedback, development plans, assignments, personnel actions
Determining Critical RolesDetermining Critical Roles1. Business strategy determines…Organizational Capability required….which leads to identifying….Critical positions (leadership, technical)
2. High ValueHighly Unique
TALENT ASSESSMENTTALENT ASSESSMENT
Potential for Future RolesPotential for Future RolesPerformance vs. PotentialPerformance vs. Potential
2011 2012 2013 Future Potential
Performance is a look back
Potential is a look forward
• Defines success in current role
• Based on specific, annual objectives
• Short-term view of capability
• Defines success in future roles
• Based on holistic view of personal qualities and behaviors
• Long-term view of capability
Talent is assessed based on Talent is assessed based on performance and potentialperformance and potential
Performance• Demonstrated goal
achievement• Positive performance trend
over time• Demonstrates depth of
experience• Delivers results and builds
teams and organization capability
Potential• Ability to take on more• Capable of advancement• Possesses key leadership
competencies• Demonstrates motivation
and commitment• Fit w/ vision and values• Strong personal ethics
Straightforward TemplatesStraightforward TemplatesPresent from template presentationPrepare Talent Profiles
Performance vs. Potential GridPerformance vs. Potential Grid
Turn – to the next level
Growth – bigger jobs on the same “roadway”
Mastery – within the current position or function
Bigger execution of results & demonstrated proficiency of the competencies for current level. Frequently learning &
using new skills. Aspiration to greater challenges. Motivation to do more than is expected . Business
perspective beyond current position. Focus on success of own area within larger business context.
Execution of results & competencies appropriate for current position. Frequently learning & using new skills. Enjoys growth available in current or similar role. Motivation to perform at an exceptional level.
Business perspective effective for current role. Focus on success of own area within larger business
Top 20%Full Performer
Exceptional performer capable of making
next turn immediatelyor near-term.
Full performer capable of making the next turn, but can still grow on current
road. Needs at least 1 – 2 years in current position.
4–Hi Po New in Role
New to role and was previously in box 1, 2 or 3. May have further potential,
but needs at least 1 – 3 years in current position.
Full performer capable of continued growth along current road.
Has capability to growbut current
performance is inconsistent or
inadequate. Needs to improve performance in current position.
Reassign to lower layer or transition from
role / employment
Full performer not likely to grow beyond
scope of current position.
Exceptional performer not likely to grow beyond scope of current position.
2 – High Potential 1 – High Potential
5 – Expandable 7–Attention Needed
9 – Action Required 8 – Well-Placed 6 – Pro in Position
Exceptional performer capable of
continued growth along current road.
3 – High Potential
Alternate P2 GridAlternate P2 Grid
Leadership definition exampleLeadership definition example
• Strong work ethic (fire in the belly)• Global exposure/perspective• Intellectual capability (but know limitations)• Business acumen - financial/ownership• Interpersonal/maturity/skills• Sincere/trust/integrity• Confidence above – inspiration below (team builder)• Proactive problem solving – desire to learn/curiosity• Positive/constructive
Importance of ValuesImportance of Values
Follow-up is keyFollow-up is key• Ensure responsibility for all follow-up actions (org
changes, personnel actions, etc.)• Individual feedback by managers• Stretch assignments• Development plans tied to gaps• Mentoring program• Functional training based on key gaps• Leadership Summit• Build into other people actions- variable comp, future
promotions• Update every 6 months
Development ProgramsDevelopment ProgramsHigh Potential Development Program: