Human Creativity Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Is the Ultimate Economic Economic Resource Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters Creativity/Tom Peters

Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Embed Size (px)

Citation preview

Page 1: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Human Human CreativityCreativity

Is the Ultimate Is the Ultimate Economic Economic ResourceResource

TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom PetersCreativity/Tom Peters

Page 2: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

On 22 June 2013, I had the privilege of On 22 June 2013, I had the privilege of acting as MC/host for a TEDx conference in acting as MC/host for a TEDx conference in Manchester VT—effectively, my home town. Manchester VT—effectively, my home town. The chosen topic was creativity, and some The chosen topic was creativity, and some 13 talks attacked the issue from every angle 13 talks attacked the issue from every angle imaginable. I attempted to set the context—imaginable. I attempted to set the context—and chose to do so along economic lines. and chose to do so along economic lines. Call it:Call it:

Creativity: Creativity: NO OPTIONNO OPTION..

What follows, very lightly annotated, is an What follows, very lightly annotated, is an expanded version of that context-setting expanded version of that context-setting overview.overview.

Page 3: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

““Human Human creativitycreativity

is the ultimate is the ultimate economic economic

resource.”resource.” —Richard Florida—Richard Florida

Page 4: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

As robotics, algorithmic determinism, As robotics, algorithmic determinism, the outsourcing-of-everything, and the outsourcing-of-everything, and the like swoop down upon us, the like swoop down upon us, creativity becomes evermore creativity becomes evermore important. Why? To exaggerate only important. Why? To exaggerate only slightly, there’s nothing else left to slightly, there’s nothing else left to add value and create jobs for a high-add value and create jobs for a high-wage nation.wage nation.

The quote comes via urban studies The quote comes via urban studies and economics guru Richard Florida. and economics guru Richard Florida.

Page 5: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

"Creativity can "Creativity can no longer be no longer be treated as an treated as an

elective.”elective.” —John Maeda—John Maeda

Page 6: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Rhode Island School of Design/RISD Rhode Island School of Design/RISD President John Maeda sings from the President John Maeda sings from the same hymnal.same hymnal.

Page 7: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

The Great The Great RestructuringRestructuring

Page 8: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

““The root of our problem is notThe root of our problem is not that we’re in a Great Recessionthat we’re in a Great Recession

or a Great Stagnation, but ratheror a Great Stagnation, but rather that we are in the early that we are in the early

throes of a throes of a Great Restructuring. Our . Our

technologies are racing ahead,technologies are racing ahead, but our skills and organizationsbut our skills and organizations

are lagging behind.”are lagging behind.”

Source:Source: Race AGAINST the Machine, Race AGAINST the Machine, Erik Brynjolfsson and Andrew McAfeeErik Brynjolfsson and Andrew McAfee

Page 9: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

No book, in my opinion, captures the No book, in my opinion, captures the

saga better than saga better than Race Against Race Against the Machinethe Machine.. As the quote As the quote suggests—we are in the midst of a suggests—we are in the midst of a profound change that dwarfs a profound change that dwarfs a cyclical economic downturn, even one cyclical economic downturn, even one as big as the 20007+ dislocation.as big as the 20007+ dislocation.

Page 10: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

“The median worker is

losing the race against the

machine.” —Erik Brynjolfsson —Erik Brynjolfsson

and Andrew McAfee, and Andrew McAfee, The Race Against the MachineThe Race Against the Machine

Page 11: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

There could be little worse news.There could be little worse news.

Page 12: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

+400,000+400,000*/*/-2,000,000-2,000,000****

“new computing technologies “new computing technologies that destroy middle-class that destroy middle-class

[white-collar] jobs even as they [white-collar] jobs even as they create jobs for highly skilled create jobs for highly skilled

workers who can exploit them”workers who can exploit them”

**ManufacturinManufacturingg jobs jobs addedadded USA 2007-2012 USA 2007-2012

****WhiteWhite--collarcollar jobs jobs llostost USA 2007-2012USA 2007-2012

Source: Source: Financial TimesFinancial Times, page 1, 0402.13 , page 1, 0402.13 (“Clerical Staff Bears Brunt of US Jobs Crisis”)(“Clerical Staff Bears Brunt of US Jobs Crisis”)

Page 13: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Manufacturing is not at the heart of Manufacturing is not at the heart of the problem—the loss of white-collar the problem—the loss of white-collar jobs, which employ about 80% of us, jobs, which employ about 80% of us, is the biggest of big deals.is the biggest of big deals.

Page 14: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Post-Great Recession: Post-Great Recession:

Equipment Equipment expendituresexpenditures

+26%; payrolls flat+26%; payrolls flat

Source:Source: Race AGAINST the Machine, Race AGAINST the Machine, Erik Brynjolfsson and Andrew McAfeeErik Brynjolfsson and Andrew McAfee

Page 15: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Post-Great Recession: Post-Great Recession: Equipment Equipment expenditures +26%; payrolls flat/expenditures +26%; payrolls flat/““Great Recession … lack of hiring Great Recession … lack of hiring

rather than increase in layoffs”/“… rather than increase in layoffs”/“… breakage of the historic link between breakage of the historic link between

value creation and job creation”value creation and job creation”

The “U-shaped Curve” The “U-shaped Curve” Phenomenon:Phenomenon:

High-skilled Waaaaay Up!!!High-skilled Waaaaay Up!!!Low-skilled: Stable/UpLow-skilled: Stable/Up

Middle: Middle: Down/Down/DownSource:Source: Race AGAINST the Machine, Race AGAINST the Machine, Erik Brynjolfsson and Andrew McAfeeErik Brynjolfsson and Andrew McAfee

Page 16: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

As the technology races ahead, so As the technology races ahead, so does investment—but not in the does investment—but not in the workforce.workforce.

Page 17: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

40 Years: Median inflation adjusted wages, 40 Years: Median inflation adjusted wages, men 30-50 with jobs, 1969-2009: $33K,men 30-50 with jobs, 1969-2009: $33K,

-27%

Source: “The Slow Disappearance of the American Source: “The Slow Disappearance of the American Working Man,” Working Man,” Bloomberg BusinessweekBloomberg Businessweek/08.11.13/08.11.13

Page 18: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Men are particularly getting Men are particularly getting clobbered.clobbered.

Page 19: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Multiple Choice ExaminationMultiple Choice Examination

You will you lose your job to; You will you lose your job to; choose one …choose one …

(1)(1) An offshore An offshore contractor?contractor?

(2)(2) A computer? A computer? (White collar)(White collar)

(3)(3) A robot? A robot? (Blue collar)(Blue collar)

Source: Adapted from Dan PinkSource: Adapted from Dan Pink

Page 20: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Close to the truthClose to the truth!!

Page 21: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

““The prospect of contracting a gofer on an aThe prospect of contracting a gofer on an a la carte basis is enticing.la carte basis is enticing. For instance, wouldn’t it For instance, wouldn’t it

be convenient if I could outsource someone to be convenient if I could outsource someone to write a paragraph here, explaining the history of write a paragraph here, explaining the history of outsourcing in Americaoutsourcing in America? ? Good idea! I went ahead Good idea! I went ahead and commissioned just such a paragraph from Get and commissioned just such a paragraph from Get Friday, a ‘virtual personal assistant-firm based in Friday, a ‘virtual personal assistant-firm based in Bangalore. … The paragraph arrived in my in-box Bangalore. … The paragraph arrived in my in-box ten days after I ordered it. It was 1,356 words. ten days after I ordered it. It was 1,356 words.

There is a bibliography with eleven sources. … At There is a bibliography with eleven sources. … At $14 an hour for seven hours of work, the cost came $14 an hour for seven hours of work, the cost came

to $98. …”to $98. …”—Patricia Marx, “Outsource Yourself,” the—Patricia Marx, “Outsource Yourself,” the New Yorker, New Yorker, 01.14.201301.14.2013 (Marx describes in detail contracting out everything associated (Marx describes in detail contracting out everything associated

with hosting her book with hosting her book clubclub—including the provision of “witty” —including the provision of “witty” comments on Proust, since she hadn’t had time to read the book—comments on Proust, since she hadn’t had time to read the book—

excellent comments only set her back $5;excellent comments only set her back $5; the the writer/contractor turned out to be a 14-writer/contractor turned out to be a 14-yyear-old ear-old ggirl irl

from New Jersefrom New Jerseyy.).)

Page 22: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

It would be funny if it weren’t so It would be funny if it weren’t so serious. Yes, outsource everything. serious. Yes, outsource everything. Even “witty” notes on Proust for your Even “witty” notes on Proust for your upcoming book club meeting—when upcoming book club meeting—when you’re too busy to do the reading. you’re too busy to do the reading. And, yes, the Proustian note writer And, yes, the Proustian note writer turns out to be a … 14-year-old girl.turns out to be a … 14-year-old girl.

Page 23: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

China China tootoo/Foxconn:/Foxconn:

1,000,000 1,000,000 robots in next robots in next

3 years3 yearsSource:Source: Race AGAINST the Machine, Race AGAINST the Machine, Erik Brynjolfsson and Andrew McAfeeErik Brynjolfsson and Andrew McAfee

Page 24: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Think China and you probably think Think China and you probably think “low wages.” Well, Chinese total “low wages.” Well, Chinese total

manufacturing costs are now manufacturing costs are now 93%93% of ours—but wait, the Chinese are of ours—but wait, the Chinese are moving up the ladder and automating moving up the ladder and automating as fast as we are. One company, one as fast as we are. One company, one million robots … in just the next three million robots … in just the next three years.years.

Page 25: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

““I believe that ninety I believe that ninety percent of white-collar jobs percent of white-collar jobs

in the U.S. will be either in the U.S. will be either destroyed or altered destroyed or altered

beyond recognition in the beyond recognition in the next 10 to 15 years.”next 10 to 15 years.” —TJP/—TJP/TimeTime

cover/0502.13cover/0502.13

Page 26: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Guess I’m boasting, but I seem to Guess I’m boasting, but I seem to have seen this coming. have seen this coming.

Page 27: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

The Women’s The Women’s CenturyCentury

Page 28: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Bachelor’s degree, age Bachelor’s degree, age 25-34: 40% F; 30% M25-34: 40% F; 30% M

Graduate degree Graduate degree students: 60% F; 40% Mstudents: 60% F; 40% M

Source: Source: Sydney Morning HeraldSydney Morning Herald /26.03.12 /26.03.12

Page 29: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Women are grabbing the degrees and, Women are grabbing the degrees and, in general, they’re way ahead in general, they’re way ahead educationally. Industries—e.g., educationally. Industries—e.g., healthcare, education—ticketed for healthcare, education—ticketed for growth are dominated by women. Etc. growth are dominated by women. Etc. Etc.Etc.

Page 30: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

““I speak to you with a feminine voice. It’s the voice of I speak to you with a feminine voice. It’s the voice of democracy, of equality. I am certain, ladies and democracy, of equality. I am certain, ladies and

gentlemen, gentlemen, that this will that this will be the women’s be the women’s centurcenturyy.. In the Portuguese language, In the Portuguese language,

words such as life, soul, and hope are of the feminine words such as life, soul, and hope are of the feminine

gender, as are other words like courage and sincerity.”gender, as are other words like courage and sincerity.”

——President President Dilma RousseffDilma Rousseff of Brazil, 1st woman to keynote the UN General Assembly of Brazil, 1st woman to keynote the UN General Assembly

Page 31: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Odds are high … Odds are high …

Page 32: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

How How Algorithms Algorithms

Came to Rule Came to Rule the Worldthe World

Page 33: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

““Algorithms have already written Algorithms have already written symphonies as moving as those symphonies as moving as those

composed by composed by BeethovenBeethoven, picked , picked through legalese with the deftness of a through legalese with the deftness of a

senior senior lawlaw p partnerartner, diagnosed , diagnosed patients with more accuracy than a patients with more accuracy than a

doctordoctor, written news articles with, written news articles with

the smooth hand of a seasonedthe smooth hand of a seasoned rerepporterorter, and driven vehicles on, and driven vehicles on

urban highways with far better control urban highways with far better control

than a human than a human driverdriver.”.”

From: Christopher Steiner, From: Christopher Steiner, Automate This: Automate This: How Algorithms Came to Rule the WorldHow Algorithms Came to Rule the World

Page 34: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Read the book. Make your own Read the book. Make your own judgment. judgment.

Page 35: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Legal industry/Pattern Legal industry/Pattern Recognition/Discovery (e-Recognition/Discovery (e-

discovery algorithms):discovery algorithms):

500500 lawyers to … lawyers to …

ONEONESource:Source: Race AGAINST the Machine, Race AGAINST the Machine, Erik Brynjolfsson and Andrew McAfeeErik Brynjolfsson and Andrew McAfee

Page 36: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

First, the software replaced the First, the software replaced the lower-wage jobs. Now it’s lower-wage jobs. Now it’s rapidly* invading (and making rapidly* invading (and making inroads) the high-wage arenas. inroads) the high-wage arenas.

*The acceleration of tech change is unprecedented—*The acceleration of tech change is unprecedented—so much faster than, say, the Industrial Revolution.so much faster than, say, the Industrial Revolution.

Page 37: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

StatsMonkey: Sports StatsMonkey: Sports writing (Readers writing (Readers

cannot tell difference)cannot tell difference)

Page 38: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

““Software Seen Software Seen Giving Grades Giving Grades

on Essay Tests”on Essay Tests”

——Headline, p 1, Headline, p 1, New York TimesNew York Times / /0405.130405.13

Page 39: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Etc. … Etc. …

Page 40: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

“ … “ … Which haiku are human writing and which Which haiku are human writing and which are from a group of bits? Sampling centuries of are from a group of bits? Sampling centuries of

haiku, devising rules, spotting patterns, and haiku, devising rules, spotting patterns, and inventing ways to inject originality, Annie inventing ways to inject originality, Annie

[algorithm] took to the short Japanese sets of [algorithm] took to the short Japanese sets of prose the same way all of [Prof David] Cope’s. prose the same way all of [Prof David] Cope’s. algorithms tackled classical music. ‘In the end, algorithms tackled classical music. ‘In the end,

it’s just layers and layers of binary math, he it’s just layers and layers of binary math, he

says. … Cope says says. … Cope says Annie’sAnnie’s penchantpenchant forfor tastefultasteful oriorigginalitinalityy could push could push her past most human composers who simply her past most human composers who simply

build on work of the past., which, in turn, was build on work of the past., which, in turn, was built on older works. …” built on older works. …”

——Christopher Steiner, Christopher Steiner, Automate This: Automate This: How Algorithms Came to Rule the WorldHow Algorithms Came to Rule the World

Page 41: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Uh, creativity anyoneUh, creativity anyone????????

Page 42: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

““In some sense you can In some sense you can argue that the science argue that the science

fiction scenario is fiction scenario is already starting to already starting to

happen. The computers happen. The computers are in control. We just are in control. We just

live in their world.”live in their world.” —Danny Hillis, —Danny Hillis,

Thinking MachinesThinking Machines

Page 43: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Extreme? Extreme? Perhaps. Perhaps. Perhaps not. Perhaps not.

Surely was true of the financial Surely was true of the financial market crash to a significant degree; market crash to a significant degree; the powers that be didn’t understand the powers that be didn’t understand the power of the instruments their the power of the instruments their geeks had created. geeks had created.

Page 44: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

GRINning GRINning All the WayAll the Way

Page 45: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

GGeneticsenetics

RRoboticsobotics

IInformaticsnformatics

NNanotechnologyanotechnology

Page 46: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

And we really … ain’t seen And we really … ain’t seen nothin’ yet.nothin’ yet.

Page 47: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Fab Labs/Fabrication Fab Labs/Fabrication Labs/Fabulous Labs/digital Labs/Fabulous Labs/digital fabrication machine/parts fabrication machine/parts

themselves are digitalized/3-D themselves are digitalized/3-D printer/MIT Center for Bits and printer/MIT Center for Bits and Atoms/ Prof Neil Gershenfeld/ Atoms/ Prof Neil Gershenfeld/ $5K: “large-format computer-$5K: “large-format computer-controlled milling machine can controlled milling machine can make all the parts in an IKEA make all the parts in an IKEA flat-pack box” customized for flat-pack box” customized for

the individual/Etc./Etc.the individual/Etc./Etc.

Source: “How to Make Almost Anything, Beil Gershenfeld, Source: “How to Make Almost Anything, Beil Gershenfeld, Foreign AffairsForeign Affairs/11-12.2012/11-12.2012

Page 48: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

3D printing may cause yet 3D printing may cause yet another revolution.another revolution.

Page 49: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

All Human All Human Beings Are Beings Are

EntrepreneursEntrepreneurs

Page 50: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

““We are in no danWe are in no dangger of runniner of runningg out of new combinations to trout of new combinations to try. y.

Even if technology froze today, we Even if technology froze today, we have more possible ways of have more possible ways of

configuring the different configuring the different applications, machines, tasks, and applications, machines, tasks, and

distribution channels to create distribution channels to create new processes and products than new processes and products than we could ever exhaust.”we could ever exhaust.” ——Erik Brynjolfsson and Erik Brynjolfsson and

Andrew McAfee,Andrew McAfee, Race Against the Machine: How the Digital Revolution Is Race Against the Machine: How the Digital Revolution Is Accelerating Innovation, Driving Productivity and Irreversibly Transforming Accelerating Innovation, Driving Productivity and Irreversibly Transforming

Employment and the Economy Employment and the Economy

Page 51: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

There is plenty “left” to do! There is plenty “left” to do! (And we’re just warming up.)(And we’re just warming up.)

Page 52: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Muhammad Yunus:Muhammad Yunus: ““All human All human beings are beings are

entrepreneursentrepreneurs.. When we were When we were in the caves we were all self-employed in the caves we were all self-employed

. . . finding our food, feeding . . . finding our food, feeding ourselves. That’s where human history ourselves. That’s where human history

began . . . As civilization came we began . . . As civilization came we suppressed it. We became labor suppressed it. We became labor

because they stamped us, ‘You are because they stamped us, ‘You are labor.’ We forgot that we are labor.’ We forgot that we are entrepreneurs.”entrepreneurs.”—Muhammad Yunus/

The News Hour/PBS/1122.2006

Page 53: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

And we are And we are allall fit to fit to

get on with it. get on with it.

Page 54: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

The Brand You50: Fifty Ways to The Brand You50: Fifty Ways to Transform Yourself from an Transform Yourself from an

“Employee” into a Brand That Shouts “Employee” into a Brand That Shouts Distinction, Commitment, and Distinction, Commitment, and

PassionPassion!

Page 55: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

This was my own version of This was my own version of Yunus’ assertion … circa 1999. Yunus’ assertion … circa 1999.

Page 56: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Distinct or Distinct or extinct!extinct!

Page 57: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

And this was our “slogan”And this was our “slogan”!!

Page 58: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

USA 1996-2007USA 1996-2007

HighestHighest rate rate entrepreneurial activity entrepreneurial activity

(firms founded): (firms founded): Ages Ages 55-6455-64

LowestLowest rate: Ages rate: Ages 20-3420-34

Source: Dane Stangler, Kauffman Foundation (Source: Dane Stangler, Kauffman Foundation (EconomistEconomist))

Page 59: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Surprise! Surprise!

Page 60: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

““The average age of a The average age of a startup founder is 40. startup founder is 40. And And high-high-ggrowth starturowth startupps s are nearlare nearlyy twice as twice as

likellikelyy to be launched b to be launched byy ppeoeopple over 55 as ble over 55 as byy ppeoeopple 20-34le 20-34.”.” —Vivek Wadhwa, —Vivek Wadhwa,

Kauffman foundation (Kauffman foundation (TimeTime/0325.13)/0325.13)

Page 61: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Surprise! Surprise!

Page 62: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Every Child Is Every Child Is Born an Artist. Born an Artist. The Trick Is to The Trick Is to

Remain an ArtistRemain an Artist

Page 63: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

SSciencecience

TTechnologyechnology

EEngineeringngineering

MMathematicsathematics

Page 64: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

STEM education is the hot topic STEM education is the hot topic these days. these days.

But is it enough?But is it enough?

Page 65: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

SScience cience

TTechnologyechnology

EEngineering ngineering

AArtsrts* * (*Courtesy John Maeda, president, RISD)(*Courtesy John Maeda, president, RISD)

MMathematicsathematics

Page 66: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

"Creativity can "Creativity can no longer be no longer be treated as an treated as an

elective.”elective.” —John Maeda—John Maeda

Page 67: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Rhode Island School of Design Rhode Island School of Design President John Maeda says STEM President John Maeda says STEM is not enough. is not enough. (For what it’s (For what it’s worth, I wholeheartedly agree.)worth, I wholeheartedly agree.)

Maeda proposes STEMaeda proposes STEAAM. I.e., M. I.e.,

adding the arts. I.e., putting adding the arts. I.e., putting creativity front and center ... in a creativity front and center ... in a world more or less about to be world more or less about to be ruled by algorithms.ruled by algorithms.

Page 68: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

““Knowledge becomes Knowledge becomes obsolete incredibly obsolete incredibly fast. The continuing fast. The continuing

professional education professional education of adults is the No. 1 of adults is the No. 1

industry in the next 30 industry in the next 30 years.”years.” —Peter Drucker—Peter Drucker

Page 69: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

"The illiterate of the "The illiterate of the 21st Century will not 21st Century will not be those who cannot be those who cannot

read or write, read or write, but but those who cannot those who cannot

learn, unlearn, and learn, unlearn, and relearnrelearn."."—Alvin Toffler—Alvin Toffler

Page 70: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Education becomes … Education becomes … K-80K-80..

Page 71: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

“ “Every child is Every child is born an artist. The born an artist. The trick is to remain trick is to remain

an artist.”an artist.” —Picasso—Picasso

Page 72: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

So true. And what an education So true. And what an education challenge that represents!challenge that represents!

Education must do a Education must do a

“180.”“180.”

Page 73: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Creativity Is Not Creativity Is Not aa

Silicon Valley Silicon Valley ExclusiveExclusive

Page 74: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Retail Superstars: Retail Superstars: Inside the 25 Best Inside the 25 Best

Independent StoresIndependent Storesin Americain America —by George Whalin—by George Whalin

Page 75: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

This is my favorite book on This is my favorite book on creativity.creativity.

Why?Why?

The book is about mind-The book is about mind-stretching success and stretching success and differentiation stories in the differentiation stories in the “mundane” World of Retail.“mundane” World of Retail.

(Creativity is (Creativity is notnot a a

“Silicon Valley” exclusive.)“Silicon Valley” exclusive.)

Page 76: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Jungle Jim’s International Market, Jungle Jim’s International Market, FairfieldFairfield, , OhioOhio:: “An “An

adventure in adventure in ‘‘shoshoppppertainmentertainment,’,’ as as Jungle Jim’s Jungle Jim’s calls it, begins in the parking lot calls it, begins in the parking lot and goes on to and goes on to

1,600 cheeses1,600 cheeses and, yes, and, yes, 1,400 varieties of 1,400 varieties of hot saucehot sauce —not to mention —not to mention 12,000 wines 12,000 wines priced from $8 to $8,000priced from $8 to $8,000 a bottle; all this is a bottle; all this is

brought to you by brought to you by 4,000 vendors4,000 vendors.. Customers Customers come from every corner of the globe.” come from every corner of the globe.”

Bronner’s Christmas Wonderland, Bronner’s Christmas Wonderland, FrankenmuthFrankenmuth, ,

MichiMichigganan, pop 5,000:, pop 5,000: 98,000-square-foot98,000-square-foot

“shop” features the likes of “shop” features the likes of 6,000 Christmas 6,000 Christmas ornaments, 50,000 trimsornaments, 50,000 trims, and anything else , and anything else you can name if it pertains to Christmas.you can name if it pertains to Christmas.

Source: George Whalin, Source: George Whalin, Retail SuperstarsRetail Superstars

Page 77: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Creativity! Creativity! Fairfield, Ohio.Fairfield, Ohio.

1,4001,400 varieties of hot sauce. varieties of hot sauce.Frankenmuth, Michigan.Frankenmuth, Michigan.

6,0006,000 Christmas ornaments. Christmas ornaments.

Page 78: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

The Red The Red Carpet Carpet StoreStore

Page 79: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Joel Resnick.Joel Resnick.Flemington, NJ.Flemington, NJ.The guy who makes and installs The guy who makes and installs the red carpet for damn near any the red carpet for damn near any major-league awards show you major-league awards show you can name—e.g., the Academy can name—e.g., the Academy Awards.Awards.

Page 80: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Motueka, New ZealandMotueka, New Zealand

Coppins Sea Coppins Sea Anchors*Anchors*

**PSA/Para-sea anchorsPSA/Para-sea anchors

Source: Kia Ora/Source: Kia Ora/Air New ZealandAir New Zealand magazine magazine

Page 81: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

I spend a couple of months each I spend a couple of months each winter in New Zealand. In the winter in New Zealand. In the very small nearby town of very small nearby town of Motueka you’ll find Coppins Sea Motueka you’ll find Coppins Sea Anchors. World’s best. Contracts Anchors. World’s best. Contracts with the likes of the United with the likes of the United States Navy.States Navy.

Page 82: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

““Be the best. Be the best. It’s the only It’s the only

market that’s market that’s not crowded.”not crowded.”

From: From: Retail Superstars: Inside the 25 BestRetail Superstars: Inside the 25 Best Independent Stores in America,Independent Stores in America, George Whalin George Whalin

Page 83: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

Self explanatory. “Distinct or Self explanatory. “Distinct or extinct”—not optional in this extinct”—not optional in this insane-and-getting-more-insane insane-and-getting-more-insane age.age.

Page 84: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

**Lived in same town all adult lifeLived in same town all adult life*First generation that’s wealthy/*First generation that’s wealthy/ no parental support no parental support*“Don’t look like millionaires, don’t dress*“Don’t look like millionaires, don’t dress like millionaires, don’t eat like like millionaires, don’t eat like millionaires, don’t act like millionaires” millionaires, don’t act like millionaires”*“Many of the types of businesses [they]*“Many of the types of businesses [they] are in could be classified as ‘dull- are in could be classified as ‘dull- normal.’ [They] are welding contractors, normal.’ [They] are welding contractors, auctioneers, scrap-metal dealers, lessors of auctioneers, scrap-metal dealers, lessors of portable toilets, dry cleaners, re-builders of portable toilets, dry cleaners, re-builders of diesel engines, paving contractors …” diesel engines, paving contractors …”

Source: Source: The Millionaire Next DoorThe Millionaire Next Door, Thomas Stanley &, Thomas Stanley & William Danko William Danko

Page 85: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

And the people who do “this And the people who do “this stuff” are normal as can be.stuff” are normal as can be.

Page 86: Human Creativity Is the Ultimate Economic Resource TEDx/Manchester VT/0622.13 Creativity/Tom Peters

““Human Human creativitycreativity

is the ultimate is the ultimate economic economic

resource.”resource.”—Richard Florida—Richard Florida