Embed Size (px)
JUNIOR LEAGUE OF SIOUX FALLS. HUMAN TRAFFICKING DEFINED. - PowerPoint PPT Presentation
JUNIOR LEAGUE OF SIOUX FALLS
Human Trafficking Law & PolicyTask Force
Education &Awareness Campaign
Human Trafficking EducationTask Force
HUMAN TRAFFICKING DEFINED
Sex trafficking is the recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for the purposes of a commercial sex act, in which the
commercial sex act is induced by force, fraud, or coercion, or in which the person induced to perform such an act has not attained 18 years of age.
(22 USC § 7102; 8 CFR § 214.11(a)).
Labor trafficking is the recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for labor or services, through the use of force, fraud, or
coercion for the purposes of subjection to involuntary servitude, peonage, debt bondage, or slavery.
(22 USC § 7102).
Source: Polaris Project; The Federal Trafficking Victims Protection Act (TVPA) of 2000. The TVPA was reauthorized through the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act (TVPRA) of 2003, 2005, 2008, and 2013.
METHODS OF RECRUITMENT• Capturing – kidnapping, abduction
• Grooming – building a relationship of trust
To recruit, traffickers go anywhere that youth gathers… malls, parks, arcades, public events, social media…
Source: Polaris Project; Shared Hope
CONTROLLING A VICTIM
Force• Causing serious harm • Using physical restraint
Fraud• False promises• Deceitful enticing and affectionate behavior
Coercion• Creating a climate of fear• Playing on the victim’s vulnerabilities• Threats
Source: Polaris Project
THE MARKET IN SOUTH DAKOTA
• Online sex ads
• Public places & events
• Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
• Hunting season
• Dakota oil fields
Source: Be Free 58, Polaris Project, Shared Hope
QUICK FACTS• 100,000 American children are victimized in the
commercial sex industry every year
• Most are recruited from ages 12 to 14 years. Trending younger – as young as 5 years old
• Victims have monetary quotas of $200 to $1000 (7-15 “Johns”) per day
• Most minor victims remain unidentified. They are often mislabeled or charged with delinquent offenses.
• Victims of human trafficking have been found in nearly every high school in Sioux Falls.
Source: National Center for Missing and Exploited Children; Polaris Project, U.S. Attorney for the District of South Dakota
SEX TRAFFICKING IN SOUTH DAKOTA• Convictions to date:
1. Brandon Thompson2. Megan Hayes3. Joshua Payer4. Jackie Little Dog5. Carl Campbell6. Emmanuel Nyuon7. Daron Jungers8. Ronald Bonestroo9. Tajahn Clinton10.Mohammed Alaboudi 11.Joseph Becker
Source: U.S. Attorney for the District of South Dakota
• 10 additional, currently indicted defendants, awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges.
IDENTIFYING POTENTIAL SIGNS OF RECRUITMENT
• Changes in BehavioroAbsences from home/school, dress, attitude,
signs of abuse
• Changes in LifestyleoMoney, material possessions, tattoos
• Changes in PeersoNew boyfriend or girlfriend, new friends, parties,
drugs/alcohol, signs of gang affiliation
Source: Shared Hope
WHAT CAN YOU DO?Get the word out.
Don’t be afraid to tell. Take action now.
If you believe you are a victim of human trafficking or may have information about a potential trafficking situation, call
the National Human Trafficking Hotline: 1-888-373-7888.
If it is an emergency, dial 911.
“You may choose to look the other way, but you can never again say that you
did not know.”
- William Wilberforce