- Igniting Student Creativity Through Digital Storytelling
Igniting Student Creativity Through Digital Storytelling
Embed Size (px)
Tools and resources for digital storytelling
Text of Igniting Student Creativity Through Digital Storytelling
- Jennifer Carrier Dorman http://jdorman.wikispaces.com/ http://cliotech.blogspot.com/
- Digital storytelling is the process of writing about a story, and adding the multimedia elements of voice, imagery, and music to create a visual story.
- The process of digital storytelling permits students to recapture creativity, develop it, intensify it, apply it, extend it . . .
Photo Credit - Snapshot http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpn/
- Storytelling Ideas and Scaffolding Steps
- PSA Public Service Announcement
- Breaking News or Olds Broadcasts
- Movie Trailer (book, article, historical era or event, etc.)
- Reenactment / Living History
- Documentary or Docu-Drama
- Story told from the perspective of an object
- Visit the iCan Festival de Cine
- Stories from a sequence of images
- Stories from a sequence of images with specified persona
- Stories from a muted video clip
- Stories from a muted video clip or sequence of images with background sound
- Stories with student-found images and set narrative
- Stories with student-found images and student-created narrative
- Capturing Stories, Capturing Lives: An Introduction to Digital Storytelling
- Plan : Storyboard and Write
- Produce : Record the pieces
- Publish : Share your creation
- Loop step 1 with teacher input and feedback in the form of guided questions
- Finding the Raw Materials
- Discovery Education streaming has thousands of media files that users can download, edit, and remix into their own digital stories.
- Advanced Search > Include Only Editable Titles
- http://streaming.discoveryeducation.com/ > Search for AFI
- Three-point and stage lighting
- http://www.ruleofthirds.com /
- primaryAccess is a web-based tool that offers teachers and students frictionless access to digital images and materials that enable them to construct compelling personal narratives .
- Teachers set up a class account at
- Teacher assigns activity to class
- Student log in and create their stories
- Check out the users guide
- The Library of Congress has been posting photographs with no known copyright restrictions to a Flickr account.
- National Archives primary resources on footnote
- Use Calisphere Themed Collections to quickly find primary sources for classroom use
- DigiTales Image Resources
- Audacity is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds.
- It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems.
- Download the LAME MP3 encoder to export as an MP3
- Audacity Tutorials and Installation Instructions
- If you are using Freeplay Music for:
- Personal Non-Commercial Use (Non-revenue generating). This excludes broadcast use of any kind, including, without limitation, web, blog, and podcast use; or
- Educational, Non-Commercial use (this is limited to student use on school grounds for in classroom projects- non broadcast)
- Then Freeplay Music's compositions and recordings may be used without a fee.
- DigiTales Music and Sound Resources
- Software and Internet Applications
- If you dont want students to use their own e-mail addresses to register for the following Internet applications, try using the Gmail trick.
- G-Mail Trick http://snipurl.com/googletricks
- Web 2.0 storytelling applications:
- Media Mashup and Creation Tools
- http://www.buildyourwildself.com /
- For more interactive media timelines visit: