How Can We Use Phrases In Sentences
Embed Size (px)
- 1. How can we use phrases in sentences?
- Phrases can be used to begin sentences to make them more interesting.
- They can also be used asmodifiers to give details.
- They can be used to combine short choppy sentences.
2. How can we improve these sentences?
- The boy tried to get the attention of the teacher.
- Susan ran across the street.
- Mrs. Johnson screamed at the class.
- The students ran into the room.
- The bus crossed the bridge.
3. Use a participle to combine the following groups of sentences .
- Gary was hoping to find his missing socks. He plunged his arm into the dirty clothes hamper.
- Linda sang the Beatle song she knew. She tried to entertain her guests from England.
- The woman was talking in a loud raspy voice. The woman annoyed everyone by giving away the movie ending.
4. Rewrite the following sentences; begin each sentence with a phrase.
- Ted swam through the under water tunnel, holding his breath.
- The old house, battered by gale force winds, remained undamaged.
- Cynthia paused for a moment at the top of the stairs.
- Andre changed his mind at the last minute.
- Hillarys mom, standing at the top of the ladder, still could not reach the knives.
5. 6. Using phrases at the beginning of sentences
- He received news of the contest winners after more than a month.
- Juan, exploring the World Wide Web, found many sites about Ireland.
- Grandpa Max recalled his childhood, speaking into a mike.
- The winding road, covered by heavy fog, was impassable.