Lesson 6 Day 1 Lesson 6 Day 1 You will need a notebook, You will need a notebook, pencil, and your Reading pencil, and your Reading book. book. T28 T28

Lesson 6 Day 1 You will need a notebook, pencil, and your Reading book. T28

Embed Size (px)

Citation preview

Lesson 6 Day 1Lesson 6 Day 1

You will need a notebook, pencil, You will need a notebook, pencil, and your Reading book.and your Reading book.T28T28

Question of the DayQuestion of the Day

What are some ways you can help your What are some ways you can help your family?family?

I can help my family by ___________.I can help my family by ___________.

T28T28

Read Aloud!Read Aloud!

T29 Transparency R35T29 Transparency R35

What would the purpose be for reading or What would the purpose be for reading or listening to a story?listening to a story?

to find out about people and placesto find out about people and places for enjoymentfor enjoyment Listen as I read, listen to see if I read Listen as I read, listen to see if I read

smoothly and group words together into smoothly and group words together into meaningful phrases.meaningful phrases.

Read Aloud!Read Aloud!

Read Aloud!Read Aloud!

What does each family member do to What does each family member do to help make the party a success?help make the party a success?

How does Grandpa feel after the party?How does Grandpa feel after the party?

Why do you think this?Why do you think this?

Phonics and Spelling Phonics and Spelling (Teach/Model)(Teach/Model)

Read these words: tableRead these words: table clothcloth Read this word:Read this word: tableclothtablecloth A tablecloth is a cloth that covers a table.A tablecloth is a cloth that covers a table. Tablecloth is a compound word- a word Tablecloth is a compound word- a word

made up of two or more smaller words. made up of two or more smaller words. box + car = boxcarbox + car = boxcar sail + boat = sailboatsail + boat = sailboat

T30T30

Phonics and Spelling Phonics and Spelling (Teach/Model)(Teach/Model)

What two words make up the word What two words make up the word thunderstormthunderstorm?? thunderthunder stormstorm Is Is thunderingthundering a compound word? a compound word? No, it is made up of the word No, it is made up of the word thunderthunder and the ending and the ending inging. . What two words make up the word What two words make up the word stoplightstoplight?? stopstop lightlight Is the word Is the word stoppedstopped a compound word? a compound word? No, it is made up of the word No, it is made up of the word stopstop and the ending and the ending ed ed. . What two words make up the word What two words make up the word playgroundplayground?? playplay groundground Is the word Is the word playingplaying a compound word? a compound word? No, it is made up of the word No, it is made up of the word playplay and the ending and the ending inging. .

T30T30

Phonics and Spelling Phonics and Spelling (Guided Practice)(Guided Practice)

What words make up these compound words? Use the What words make up these compound words? Use the smaller words to help you determine the meaning of smaller words to help you determine the meaning of the compound words. the compound words.

flagpoleflagpole flag + pole = flagpoleflag + pole = flagpole cornfieldcornfield corn + field = cornfieldcorn + field = cornfield toothbrushtoothbrush tooth + brush = toothbrushtooth + brush = toothbrush raincoatraincoat rain + coat = raincoatrain + coat = raincoat

T30T30

Phonics and Spelling Phonics and Spelling (Independent Practice)(Independent Practice)

Write the following words on your paper:Write the following words on your paper:

wallpaper, basketball, birdhouse, and wallpaper, basketball, birdhouse, and earthworm.earthworm.

Circle the smaller words within each Circle the smaller words within each compound word.compound word.

Write a definition of each compound word Write a definition of each compound word based upon the two smaller words. based upon the two smaller words.

T30T30

Spelling PretestSpelling Pretest

1.1. pickuppickup2.2. cannotcannot3.3. outsideoutside4.4. bedroombedroom5.5. upstairsupstairs6.6. raindropraindrop7.7. baseballbaseball8.8. hallwayhallway9.9. airplaneairplane10.10. mailboxmailbox

11.11. sunshinesunshine12.12. homeworkhomework13.13. classroomclassroom14.14. somethingsomething15.15. playgroundplayground16.16. sidewalksidewalk17.17. teaspoonteaspoon18.18. thumbtackthumbtack19.19. sandpapersandpaper20.20. notebooknotebook

T31T31

Fact and OpinionFact and Opinion

A A factfact is something that can be seen or is something that can be seen or proved. proved.

An An opinionopinion is a person’s thoughts or is a person’s thoughts or feelings. feelings.

Clue words such as think and believe can Clue words such as think and believe can help readers know that a sentence states help readers know that a sentence states an an opinionopinion. .

T32T32

Turn to page 156 in your Turn to page 156 in your book. book.

Read the paragraph in the blue box on page Read the paragraph in the blue box on page 157. 157.

When I look at the first sentence, I see the When I look at the first sentence, I see the words I think. This tells me that “baseball has words I think. This tells me that “baseball has an interesting history” is someone’s opinion. An an interesting history” is someone’s opinion. An opinion cannot be checked because different opinion cannot be checked because different people think different things are interesting. people think different things are interesting.

The second sentence is about something that The second sentence is about something that happened in history. Dates can be checked in happened in history. Dates can be checked in a reference book, and if they are correct, the a reference book, and if they are correct, the sentence states a fact. sentence states a fact.

T32-33T32-33

As we read the paragraph on page 157 we will stop and As we read the paragraph on page 157 we will stop and

decide whether each sentence is a fact or opinion. decide whether each sentence is a fact or opinion.

factfact opinionopinion

In the mid-1800s, the In the mid-1800s, the first baseball teams first baseball teams were formed in the were formed in the United States.United States.

At first, there were no At first, there were no rules for how to play.rules for how to play.

Alexander Cartwright Alexander Cartwright wrote the first set of wrote the first set of rules for baseball. rules for baseball.

I think baseball has I think baseball has an interesting history.an interesting history.

Getting written rules Getting written rules was the best thing to was the best thing to happen to baseball. happen to baseball.

Players everywhere Players everywhere could then play the could then play the game the same way. game the same way.

T33T33

Listening ComprehensionListening Comprehension

You will listen to a story about two boys You will listen to a story about two boys whose fathers helped build the Golden whose fathers helped build the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

Have you ever seen any large bridges?Have you ever seen any large bridges? Here is a picture of the Golden Gate Here is a picture of the Golden Gate

Bridge.Bridge.

T34T34

Listening Comprehension Listening Comprehension (cont.)(cont.) ““Pop’s Bridge” is historical fiction, a type Pop’s Bridge” is historical fiction, a type

of fiction that combines a made-up story of fiction that combines a made-up story with real events from the past. with real events from the past.

Listen as I read the first four paragraphs. Listen as I read the first four paragraphs. I know the Golden Gate Bridge is real. I I know the Golden Gate Bridge is real. I

know it opened in 1937, so this story know it opened in 1937, so this story happens before then. The boy telling the happens before then. The boy telling the story sounds like a real boy. I think this story sounds like a real boy. I think this story is historical fiction because it is story is historical fiction because it is about events that really happened, but about events that really happened, but the characters are not real peoplethe characters are not real people. .

T34T34

Listening Comprehension Listening Comprehension (cont.)(cont.)

You should listen to historical fiction to You should listen to historical fiction to enjoy it and to learn about the time, enjoy it and to learn about the time, people, places, and events from history people, places, and events from history that are discovered. that are discovered.

Remember that facts are statements that Remember that facts are statements that can be seen or proved and opinions are can be seen or proved and opinions are what people believe, think, or feel. what people believe, think, or feel.

Historical fiction includes many facts to Historical fiction includes many facts to make the setting seem real. make the setting seem real.

The characters may state opinions.The characters may state opinions.T34T34

Build Robust VocabularyBuild Robust Vocabulary

On calm days, Robert sees the sailboats gently On calm days, Robert sees the sailboats gently skimskim the water.the water.

skimskim- To - To skimskim the surface of something means to move the surface of something means to move quickly over it, barely touching it. quickly over it, barely touching it.

Say the word with me, Say the word with me, skimskim.. Would a stone that Would a stone that skimsskims the water sink or skip across the water sink or skip across

the water?the water? The boys saw two The boys saw two spansspans of the bridge being built of the bridge being built

together.together. spanspan- A - A spanspan is the distance between two points. is the distance between two points. Say the word with me, Say the word with me, spanspan. .

T35T35

DOLDOL

1. I put on my coat and left my hat.1. I put on my coat and left my hat.

2. Bruno barked, and ran away.2. Bruno barked, and ran away.

T28T28

GrammarGrammar

A sentence is a group of words that tells A sentence is a group of words that tells a complete thought. a complete thought.

A sentence also begins with a capitol A sentence also begins with a capitol letter and ends with an end mark. letter and ends with an end mark.

A sentences has a subject that tells A sentences has a subject that tells whom or what the sentence is about, and whom or what the sentence is about, and a predicate that tells what the subject is a predicate that tells what the subject is or does. or does.

T36T36

The bridge gleamed in The bridge gleamed in the sunlight. the sunlight.

The bridge (subject)The bridge (subject) gleamed in the sunlight. (predicate)gleamed in the sunlight. (predicate)

T36T36

Help me complete each Help me complete each sentence by adding a sentence by adding a subject or a predicate. subject or a predicate.

The Golden Gate BridgeThe Golden Gate Bridge were hiredwere hired The bridge wasThe bridge was even when strong winds bleweven when strong winds blew

Write three complete sentences in your Write three complete sentences in your journal about what we have done today. journal about what we have done today.

T36T36

WritingWriting A character sketch tells about a person. A character sketch tells about a person. Student Model: Character SketchStudent Model: Character Sketch

Sophia Rivera has short black hair and big Sophia Rivera has short black hair and big brown eyes. She almost always has a big, brown eyes. She almost always has a big, friendly grin on her face. That is one of the first friendly grin on her face. That is one of the first things people notice about her. Sophia is a things people notice about her. Sophia is a small girl, one of the smallest in our class. But small girl, one of the smallest in our class. But her personality is BIG when she wants it to be. her personality is BIG when she wants it to be. When Sophia reads in class, her voice is loud When Sophia reads in class, her voice is loud and clear. Believe me, everyone pays attention and clear. Believe me, everyone pays attention when she reads. Sophia loves the color red. when she reads. Sophia loves the color red. On the first day of school, she wore a red shirt On the first day of school, she wore a red shirt and wanted all of us to wear red shirts, too. and wanted all of us to wear red shirts, too.

T37 Transparency LA12T37 Transparency LA12

Writing (cont.)Writing (cont.)

Character SketchesCharacter Sketches Describes how a person looks, sounds, Describes how a person looks, sounds,

or actsor acts Tells what a person is likeTells what a person is like

The sentences do not all start the same. The sentences do not all start the same.

T38T38

Use the chart below to tell how Robert’s father in “Pop’s Use the chart below to tell how Robert’s father in “Pop’s Bridge” looks, sounds, and acts. Then use how he acts and Bridge” looks, sounds, and acts. Then use how he acts and what he says to conclude what he is like.what he says to conclude what he is like.

How Robert’s Father How Robert’s Father What Robert’s Father Is What Robert’s Father Is LikeLike Looks, Sounds, or Acts Looks, Sounds, or Acts

wears overallswears overalls swabbie hatswabbie hat red handkerchiefred handkerchief

humble humble bravebrave

T38T38

Writing (Cont.)Writing (Cont.)

Work with a partner to create a list of Work with a partner to create a list of words that describe how a certain person words that describe how a certain person looks, sounds, or acts. looks, sounds, or acts.

T38T38