Swiss Chaplin Home a Museum Charlie Chaplin’s last home in Switzerland will become a Museum. Planned for decades, London and Los Angeles competed for this honor. Switzerland, however won out to feature the “Screen Legends Museum” as Chaplin was happiest in Corsey-sur-Vevey according to his son, Michael Chaplin. Chaplin was barred from the United States during the years of McCarthyism, as the organization suspected him of harboring communistic sympa- thies. He returned only briefly twenty years later to receive an honorary Academy Award for his life’s work. Charlie Chaplin lived for 20 years in Corsey-sur-Vevey on the Lake of Geneva and enjoyed a happy family life with his wife Oona with whom he had eight children. This reporter was fortunate enough to have met Chaplin and his wife personally at a reception on a movie set. The Museum will feature objects of his life and highlight his career from the early beginnings in the Music Halls of his native London to stardom in Hollywood in such films as: The Little Tramp, The Immigrant, City Lights, The Great Dictator and more. The Museum will open in two years. DORIS RITZI [email protected] Regional news 1 REGIONAL NEWS USA Articles Please send articles regarding the Regional News USA to Wal Baur 2364 Sunset Curve Upland, CA 91784-1069 Phone: 909 931 7708 e-mail: [email protected] Advertising For all advertising in the Regional News USA please contact Wal Baur 2364 Sunset Curve Upland, CA 91784-1069 Phone: 909 931 7708 e-mail: [email protected] Editorial Next Regional News Swiss Review 4/2010 Deadline USA Sept. 1st, 2010 Approx. Arrival USA Middle of November Swiss Review # 1/2011 Deadline USA beg. December Approx. Arrival USA middle Febr. Dear Readers in the United States SWISS REVIEW August 2010/N03 USA E Are you sad that Switzerland didn’t even reach the group of 16 at the Soc- cer World Championship? Well, all is not lost. Check out the article on page 3 about the mock Championship in New York. Hopp Swiss Jaguars!!! Every summer itt is tradition for the Swiss Singing Society Harmonie to have a picnic. It used to be in the mountains, but we are getting older and the idea of not having to lug your folding chair or sitting on a blanket instead of on a chair is more and more appealing. So for the last 10 years we hosted the picnic in our garden. You definitely can’t call it a picnic anymore. Peo- ple outdo themselves in bringing fantastic salads and outlandish desserts. Sigi buys the Bratwurst and Rudi is our Master Grill-Chef. Many things are homemade. Harmonie does not only have good singers, they are also good cooks: This year, Martin brought his traditional Züpfe, Manfred baked a Linzertorte, Huldi baked Schenkeli and Madeleines, Sophie’s Potato-Salad is legendary and our newest member Irene surprised us with a wonderful carrot salad. But just have a look for yourself! I hope that you all had an enjoyable 1 st of August and have a wonderful summer. WAL BAUR, EDITOR, [email protected] Master Grill-Chef Ruedi Buergi The center island is occupied by salads, zopf and bread and the kitchen table is converted into a dessert buffet All pictures by Theresa Lehmann

Page1 3 10 · 2014-09-19 · SCHWEIZER REVUE Oktober2005/Nr.5 SW ISS REVIEW,A UGUS T201 0/No3 NewYo rk OutstandingWoman: BarbaraRivera-Berger EntreNosotras,Inc.,anorgani-zation established

• Upload
    others

• View

• Download

Embed Size (px)

Citation preview

Page 1: Page1 3 10 · 2014-09-19 · SCHWEIZER REVUE Oktober2005/Nr.5 SW ISS REVIEW,A UGUS T201 0/No3 NewYo rk OutstandingWoman: BarbaraRivera-Berger EntreNosotras,Inc.,anorgani-zation established

Swiss Chaplin Home aMuseum

Charlie Chaplin’s last home in Switzerland will become a Museum. Planned for decades, London andLos Angeles competed for this honor. Switzerland, however won out to feature the “Screen LegendsMuseum” as Chaplin was happiest in Corsey-sur-Vevey according to his son, Michael Chaplin.Chaplin was barred from the United States during the years of McCarthyism, as the organization suspected him of harboring communistic sympa-thies. He returned only briefly twenty years later to receive an honorary Academy Award for his life’s work. Charlie Chaplin lived for 20 years inCorsey-sur-Vevey on the Lake of Geneva and enjoyed a happy family life with his wife Oona with whom he had eight children. This reporter wasfortunate enough to have met Chaplin and his wife personally at a reception on a movie set.The Museum will feature objects of his life and highlight his career from the early beginnings in the MusicHalls of his native London to stardom in Hollywood in such films as: The Little Tramp, The Immigrant, CityLights, The Great Dictator and more. The Museum will open in two years. DORIS RITZI

[email protected]

Regio

nalnew

s1

R E G I O N A L N E W S U S A

Articles

Please send articles regarding theRegional News USA to

Wal Baur2364 Sunset CurveUpland, CA 91784-1069

Phone: 909 931 7708

e-mail: [email protected]

Advertising

For all advertising in the Regional NewsUSA please contact

Wal Baur2364 Sunset CurveUpland, CA 91784-1069

Phone: 909 931 7708

e-mail: [email protected]

Editorial

Next Regional News

Swiss Review 4/2010Deadline USA Sept. 1st, 2010Approx. Arrival USA Middle of

November

Swiss Review # 1/2011Deadline USA beg. DecemberApprox. Arrival USA middle Febr.

Dear Readers in the United States

SW

ISS

RE

VIE

WA

ugus

t20

10/

N0

3U

SAE

Are you sad that Switzerland didn’t even reach the group of 16 at the Soc-

cer World Championship? Well, all is not lost. Check out the article on page

3 about the mock Championship in New York. Hopp Swiss Jaguars!!!

Every summer itt is tradition for the Swiss Singing Society Harmonie to have

a picnic. It used to be in the mountains, but we are getting older and the

idea of not having to lug your folding chair or sitting on a blanket instead

of on a chair is more and more appealing. So for the last 10 years we hosted

the picnic in our garden. You definitely can’t call it a picnic anymore. Peo-

ple outdo themselves in bringing fantastic salads and outlandish desserts.

Sigi buys the Bratwurst and Rudi is our Master Grill-Chef. Many things are

homemade. Harmonie does not only have good singers, they are also good

cooks: This year, Martin brought his traditional Züpfe, Manfred baked a Linzertorte, Huldi baked Schenkeli and Madeleines, Sophie’s Potato-Salad

is legendary and our newest member Irene surprised us with a wonderful carrot salad. But just have a look for yourself!

I hope that you all had an enjoyable 1st of August and have a wonderful summer. WAL BAUR, EDITOR, [email protected]

Master Grill-Chef Ruedi Buergi

The center island is occupied by salads, zopf and bread and the kitchen table is converted into a dessert buffet

All pictures by Theresa Lehmann

Page 2: Page1 3 10 · 2014-09-19 · SCHWEIZER REVUE Oktober2005/Nr.5 SW ISS REVIEW,A UGUS T201 0/No3 NewYo rk OutstandingWoman: BarbaraRivera-Berger EntreNosotras,Inc.,anorgani-zation established

SC

HW

EIZ

ER

RE

VU

EOk

tobe

r200

5/

Nr.

5S

WIS

SR

EV

IEW

,A

UG

US

T2

/N

o3

New YorkOutstanding Woman:Barbara Rivera-BergerEntre Nosotras, Inc., an organi-zation established to empowerPuerto Rican/Hispanic womenthroughout the State of NewYork, holds its award ceremo-nies during the Annual Legisla-tive Conference of the New YorkState Assembly’s Puerto Rican/Hispanic Task Force. Also knownas the ”Somos el Futuro” Confe-rence, this is the largest gathe-ring of Puerto Rican/Hispaniccivic and political leaders in thestate. At the 23rd conference,which was held in Albany fromApril 16th to 18th, 2010, twelveoutstanding women were hono-red for their “significant cont-ributions towards the develop-ment of the Puerto Rican andHispanic communities.” Amongthe awardees was BarbaraRivera-Berger, a mental healthcounselor on the staff of Euge-nio María de Hostos CommunityCollege’s Carlos L. GonzalezCounseling Center.Here is what Barbara says aboutherself:I was born in Basel Switzerlandand was raised by a mother withLatin background. My mother isfrom a Romantsch speakingcommunity (Domat/Ems), whichis a very old Latin minority com-munity in the mountain area ofSwitzerland. My father wasSwiss-German.I grew up in Allschwil and went

through the Swiss school systemuntil High School. I left schooland then went trough the Eve-ning Matura in Basel, while wor-king at the Basel Ballet withHeinz Spoerrli. That was the be-ginning of working in an inter-national community, helpingballet dancers who had pro-blems. After that I entered theUniversity of Basel and studiedEnglish. As I was unable to pro-

ceed in the theatre in Basel, Iwent to Emerson College in Bos-ton, MA in 1992 to study actingand directing. From there I wasable to do an internship at theMetropolitan Opera in New York.I lived in Bushwick, Brooklyn atthat time and cleaned apart-

ments while following my dreamof becoming a play director. La-ter on I worked at the Swiss Mis-sion to the United Nations as amessenger and eventually got ajob as public information assis-tant at the United Nations. Atthe same time, pursuing mydream, I organized a Klezmerconcert (Kol Simcha) at Carne-gie Hall. I was assistant stagemanager at an opera at La Mama

and I also worked with my bestfriend Andrea Haenggi (amdat.org) who is now a well-knownSwiss choreographer in NewYork.As I encountered my own as wellas my neighbor’s difficulties re-ceiving services in the commu-

nity, and surviving in New York,my mission in life became wan-ting to help the Latin commu-nity members become more em-powered. Having talked aboutpoverty and hunger at the Uni-ted Nations, I now wanted tomake a difference in my new-found community in New York.I had no college degree so I hadto go back to school in 2000. Igot my undergraduate degree inpsychology/creative arts the-rapy from the New School Uni-versity in New York. After that Iwent to NYU (New York Univer-sity) where I received my gradu-ate degree in drama therapy in2002.I am now a New York State li-censed psychotherapist and re-gistered drama therapist. I alsohold a post graduate certificatein alcohol and substance abusecounseling and have almostcompleted a 3 year post gradu-ate training (completed in fall2010) in Somatic Experien-cing®, a body-awareness ap-proach to treating post trauma-tic stress disorder. I work atHOSTOS Community College inthe South Bronx, NY, with Iraqiand Afghanistan veterans andother students to help themovercome trauma and problemsin college. It was a long journeyfrom the Swiss mountains to theSouth Bronx.

BARBARA RIVERA-BERGER

[email protected]

Barbara Rivera-Berger, honored for her “significant contributions towards the

development of the Puerto Rican and Hispanic communities“

Page 3: Page1 3 10 · 2014-09-19 · SCHWEIZER REVUE Oktober2005/Nr.5 SW ISS REVIEW,A UGUS T201 0/No3 NewYo rk OutstandingWoman: BarbaraRivera-Berger EntreNosotras,Inc.,anorgani-zation established

Regio

nalnew

s3

New York

Soccer World Champi-onship in South Africaand in New York!Hopp Swiss Jaguars!Following an initiative by theSouth African Consulate Generaland in cooperation with MetroSoccer and SASF (Sports & Artsin Schools Foundation) theHugo Newman College P.S. 180in Harlem was selected to repre-sent Switzerland in a Mock Soc-cer World Championship here inNew York.This is a particularly admirablestory as this event exhibits theexemplary path of an underpri-vileged college that has come along way. P.S. 180 used to beone of the most unsafe collegesin New York City, yet this yearwas awarded the “2010 Intera-gency Outstanding Early Child-

hood Award”. This soccer projectshowed in a congenial way, whatinfluence endurance, positiveenergy and eagerness of an edu-cational system starting withthe individual students, tea-chers, the principal all the wayto a third party foundation(SASF) can achieve, when brin-ging together sports & arts. Ms

Aneesha Jacko,AssistantPrincipal was adriving force,inviting thirdparties like ourConsulateGeneral of Swit-zerland in NewYork, giving this project a wholenew perspective. Students were

able to gain enthusiasm and sta-mina through sports activitiesand intercultural exchanges.

With the world soccer tourna-ments at our doorsteps, Ambas-sador Bubb was instantly sympa-thetic to the idea of havingSwitzerland represented in thismock version of the games andendorsed the project with SwissT-Shirts and educational mate-rial. The 9-11 year old boys cameto the Consulate - well prepared– and were able to answer manyof the questions that we presen-ted in a Swiss-Quiz. They werethrilled about visiting the Con-sulate, seeing the offices, get-ting a feel for a Swiss businessenvironment and last but not

least enjoyed the opportunity tofamiliarize themselves withLindt Truffles.

Sunday, June 6th wasthe big sports day,and as the picturestell, the eagerness tobe present translatedinto a competitivegame. The Swiss Ja-guars as much as wonwithin their divisionand came in third in

the overall tournament of the 16teams! Go Swiss Jaguars! The lo-cation for the games was well

chosen for its history. In 1931 itopened as New York City’s firstmunicipal airport, the FloydBennett Field in Brooklyn andtoday is part of the Gateway Na-tional Recreation Area givingthe Aviator Sports Centre a con-cession to host a broad varietyof events.We are very proud of the teamrepresenting Switzerland in themock soccer championship.

ROSINA COLAZZO-FRANZESE

CONSULATE GENERAL OF SWITZERLAND

[email protected]

PICTURES COURTESY OF

ELISA PORTILLO

Students of Hugo Newman College with their Trainer, representing the SwissNational Soccer Team at the Mock Soccer Championship in Brooklyn

Swiss Jaguars: fighting for the lead “one game changeseverything”

Swiss Jaguars: playing and winning

Student of Hugo Newman College, du-ring the class’s visit to the ConsulateGeneral of Switzerland in New York -no problem pointing out Switzerlandon a map!

Winning Swiss National Soccer Team with Ambassador Christoph Bubb andDeputy Consul General Sabine Ulmann Shaban

SW

ISS

RE

VIE

WA

UG

US

T20

10/

No3

Page 4: Page1 3 10 · 2014-09-19 · SCHWEIZER REVUE Oktober2005/Nr.5 SW ISS REVIEW,A UGUS T201 0/No3 NewYo rk OutstandingWoman: BarbaraRivera-Berger EntreNosotras,Inc.,anorgani-zation established

SC

HW

EIZ

ER

RE

VU

EOk

tobe

r200

5/

Nr.

5S

WIS

SR

EV

IEW

,A

UG

US

T2

/N

o3

CaliforniaScrews anyone?Max Buettiker has loose screws.Actually, he has tons of them!But then, that is to be expectedif you have a screw machineshop! Not long ago he invitedmy husband Köbi to come andhave a look. Having been a tool-maker by trade, he was ob-viously very interested. I justfollowed.Born in Solothurn, Max learnedhis trade in the North Westernpart of Switzerland, that iswhere the watchmakers are athome. After his apprenticeship,he worked for a while for a watchcompany in Geneva, making thewinding crowns for some of themost prestigious Swiss watches.

He had a job opportunity in Lon-don, where he also learned tospeak English and from there itwas just a long jump over here toLos Angeles. Like most Swiss, heworked for other companies un-til he opened his first small

shop. In the begin-ning, his wife andeven his son anddaughter helped outin the evening or onweekends, when ajob needed to be fini-shed on time. Espe-cially his daughterElizabeth seemed to

like it and, growing up, she wasseen more and more on the ma-chine shop floor and later in thefront office. Now, married andmother of a three year olddaughter, she starts taking overthe whole operation, not hesita-ting to send her father for one totwo months vacation to his na-tive Switzerland.The first machines Max boughtwere from Swiss companiescalled Tornos and Bechler. Hestill has many of them, workingperfectly fine after 40 years ofservice. But these machinescould only do so much.The digital age arrived and soonMax started buying the latest,most advanced, computer-pro-grammed models from Switzer-land, which can do almost allpossible operations at the sametime, turning the part around,single point threading bothends, cross drilling, bending,slotting and crimping. A fewyears ago, all this needed a se-cond operation. The differencebetween the old and new machi-nes is also audible. While the old

machines are fairly noisy, thenew ones are enclosed and youhear practically not more than awhisper.Now, if you are like me, a screwwas just a screw, and a screwmachine sounded like some-thing slightly obscene. But boywas I in for a learning experi-ence! Screws are made out ofmetal, be it stainless steel,bronze, copper, titanium or goldplated. They come in so manyshapes, you wouldn’t believe it:from 3/4“ diameter to barelythicker than a hair. Some parts

Return to the quality sleep you are used to, nomatter where you live in the U.S.A. Now, theenergizing Swiss Sleep System is here to bring youthe comfortable, healthy sleep you had back home.

Get to know the Swiss Sleep System and its line ofproducts at www.SwissSleepSystem.com or call1.866.SWISS99. We’ll make you feel right at home.

Sleep the Swiss Way. Again.

Für ä tüüfä gsundä Schlaaf. Pour un sommeil sain et profond.

are drilled and slotted, thencrimped, some are knurled orneed a cross hole and some haveto be bent. Whatever is on a blueprint, the new machines can doit – and in one single operation.A long metal rod goes in at oneend and the finished part comesout at the other end. I saw a ma-chine that took about eight mi-nutes to make just one fairlylarge screw, to be used in a gui-tar. Others parts are destined forsubmarines. One machine makes

pins that hold the various mili-tary decorations on a plasticplate, so that highly decoratedofficers can wear them on their

chests.Right now, Max Buet-tiker has 35 of the oldmachines and 8 of thedigital machines. Hisprecision work hasmade him well knownin various industryand Government bran-ches. He only felt therecession slightly lastyear and has so manyorders now that he,

his daughter Elizabeth, andtheir co-workers can barelyhandle them. You can really saythat Max didn’t screw up!The company can be contactedat: Optel-Matic Inc.11221 Thienes Ave.,South El Monte, CA 91733Phone 626 444 2671e-mail:[email protected]

WAL BAUR

(with substancial help from myhusband, Köbi Baur!!!)

[email protected]

One of the old screw machines. Greasyand noisy but still going strong!

One of the new Deco screw machines: Fast, efficientand not more noise than a whisper!

Max‘s daughter, Elizabeth Karpynetz,weighing screws to count them

Köbi Baur listening intently to Max Buettiker‘s expla-nations

Page 5: Page1 3 10 · 2014-09-19 · SCHWEIZER REVUE Oktober2005/Nr.5 SW ISS REVIEW,A UGUS T201 0/No3 NewYo rk OutstandingWoman: BarbaraRivera-Berger EntreNosotras,Inc.,anorgani-zation established

#"!+&

)$')"(

%*

&b

G&&

)N

dGN

b2

!L

!&

$5R

7R"

<D4

!&2

N

1##' 4.2(.,+)0/+54- &)$3#6$7.!8 ,(7* 0,(885%.!(3"$+#%.$b=S::ZF US;:D=# DX ISW=6:SDF S;K6=WZK# :UZ US;:D=# DX IZF+ :UZ&(S;; 68:UD= 6F\ QD8=F6KS;:&8;6FF 0D;;U6=\eBcKSF ]K6SI;1GF ]DF:=6;:+ UZ= _DDP CbN&$eb2)-E S; 6KK 6_D8: SIISW=6F:(DIZF1 G:H; S; 6F NFWKS;U :=6F;eK6:SDF X=DI :UZ LZ=I6F _DDPCbN&$b')$&E1 0ZWZWF8FWZFIS: 2IZ=SP6e&]U(ZSfZ=SFFZF`ZMZM dZ=K6W 5RRT^+ :D _Z A8_KS;eUZ\ SF K6:Z ;8IIZ=+ 6F\ S; ;ADFe;D=Z\ _# :UZ &(S;; 2IZ=S]6FJS;:D=S]6K &D]SZ:# `&2J&^1$UZ _DDP Z%AKD=Z; UD( :UZ;Z&(S;; SIISW=6F: (DIZF a 6KKDK\Z= :U6F Y[ 6F\ KDDPSFW _6]Pa (Z=Z ;U6AZ\ _# :(D ]D8F:=SZ;+:(D ]8K:8=Z;+ 6F\ :(D K6FW86eWZ;1 $UZ# ]6IZ X=DI *6=SZ\(6KP; DX KSXZ+ X=DI \SXXZ=ZF: ;De]S6K 6F\ A=DXZ;;SDF6K _6]PeW=D8F\;+ 6F\ X=DI \S*Z=;Z &(S;;=ZWSDF;1$UZS= =Z6;DF; XD= ZISW=6:SFW(Z=Z I6FSXDK\+ _Z S: SF ;Z6=]U DX

6\*ZF:8=Z+ ;ZZPSFW 6F Z;]6AZ+6F ZF=S]UIZF: DX :UZS= Z\8]6e:SDF+ D= XD= KD*Z1 $UZ# :6KP 6_D8:*6=SZ\ Z%AZ=SZF]Z;+ QD#; 6F\ ]=Se;Z;+ AD;;S_SKS:SZ; 6F\ KDFWSFW;1$D A=D*S\Z 6 US;:D=S]6K AZ=;AZ]e:S*Z SF :UZ ;Z]DF\ A6=: DX :UZ_DDP+ :UZ US;:D=S6F @ZD &]UZKe_Z=: DXXZ=; XD8= AD=:=6S:; DX&(S;; (DIZF ZISW=6:SFW :D 7V:U

6F\ 7T:U ]ZF:8=# 2IZ=S]61 $UZ_DDP ]DF]K8\Z; (S:U US; ;PZ:]UDX :UZ 5R:U ]ZF:8=# ;:6:8; DX (DeIZF SF :UZ !FS:Z\ &:6:Z;+ :UZ(D=K\ :UZ 7[ (DIZF AD=:=6#Z\_# &8;6FF 0D;;U6=\eBcKSF ZF:Ze=Z\ SF:D1$UZ _DDP CbN&$b2)-E DAZF; 68FS?8Z (SF\D( SF:D :UZ KS*Z; DX(DIZF+ DX &(S;;+ DX SIISW=6F:;+DX 5R:U ]ZF:8=# AZDAKZ SF WZFZe=6K1 G: S; 6 QD# :D =Z6\+ =S]U SF SFe;SWU:+ 6F\ DX:ZF ID*SFW1$UZ NFWKS;U *Z=;SDF (SKK _Z 6*6SeK6_KZ 6; DX &ZA:ZI_Z= 5R7R X=DI/&2J& 0DDP N\S:D=+ 5[54 2;_8=#2*ZF8Z+ N*6F;:DF+ G@ YR5R71.D;:/O5[1RR AK8; AD;:6WZ

)G$2 N>.J

=S:6ZI]U3*:%I6SK1]U

( - - 0 , ) # ' # . % * % ! - . ' + - , # . % - % " # , $ ( / ! &

71 &3#/4$5 +(60(!2(3 ,"5 *-,-+ SF :UZ Z*ZFSFW+ (S:U >6=W=S: >DF\6*S `UZ= AD=:=6S: S;SF (Z;:(6=\^+ 6: :UZ )D_Z=: >DF\6*S bSFZ=# SF ,6P*SKKZ+ .6KSXD=FS6

51 )%.31/4$5 +(60(!2(3 *'5 *-,-+ SF :UZ Z*ZFSFW+ 6: :UZ LDZ:UZ GF;:S:8:Z SF .US]6WD`(((1WDZ:UZ1\Z"]US]6WD^

41 )%.31/4$5 +(60(!2(3 '-5 *-,-+ SF :UZ Z*ZFSFW+ 6: :UZ &(S;; &D]SZ:# SF <Z( 9D=P`(((1;(S;;;D]SZ:#F#1]DI^

Call or write for our free catalog! (608) 527-2417Send email requests to: [email protected]

Shop our internet catalog at:

• 8-Pan Rectangular Raclette Grill - Anthracite color,10 x 17 inchreversible top, 8 Pans/Spatulas, 120 volt w/variable heat control -$129.00 plus receive FREE SHIPPING on your grill! (Cat. # KF 77041)

• Bräzeli Iron - Imported heavy-duty electric 120 volt iron withwooden spatula, cone tool, rolling tool and stick, 32-page cook-book - $329.95 plus receive FREE SHIPPING on your iron! (Cat. # A.1)

WWW.SHOPSWISS.COM

Take advantage of Fall Specials at Roberts

Bräzeli Irons

8-Pan Rectangular Raclette Grill

Bräzeli Irons

Fondue Supplies

VictorinoxKnives

Special good through October 15, 2010

A Leader in Quality, Selection and Price featuring over 100 Wisconsin made, regional and imported cheeses including :Appenzeller, Gruyere, Raclette (made in Monroe,WI), Baby Swiss, Butterkäse, Cheddar, Buttermilk Blue, Limburger, Fondue

Mix and many more. We have bulk cheese in wheels, loaves, or small cuts – plus locally made Landjägers.Check the Emmi products on our web site at www.alpanddellcheese.com.

ALP DELL Cheese - your favorite cheese store in the USA!To order cheese direct, call (608) 328-3355 - or [email protected] 2nd St., Monroe,WI 53566

SwissCow Bells

23/!1 /(, "$+ $%5(+ #/, 1/)!'&-)!/1 /# *-5$ *.$&!-5*40

102 Fifth Avenue, P.O. Box 156, New Glarus WI 53574-0156

Page 6: Page1 3 10 · 2014-09-19 · SCHWEIZER REVUE Oktober2005/Nr.5 SW ISS REVIEW,A UGUS T201 0/No3 NewYo rk OutstandingWoman: BarbaraRivera-Berger EntreNosotras,Inc.,anorgani-zation established

SC

HW

EIZ

ER

RE

VU

EOk

tobe

r200

5/

Nr.

5S

WIS

SR

EV

IEW

,A

UG

US

T2

/N

o3

New YorkSwiss Wine in the CityThe Swiss Wine ProducersProvins Valais and Jean-RenéGermanier Vins, in associationwith Chandra Kurt, a Swiss WineConsultant, have embarked on aremarkable and unique adven-ture: to organize, right in themiddle of New York, the firstbottling of wines from the Swisscanton of Valais.Two years ago, in the heart ofManhattan’s Soho, Chandra Kurtdiscovered the City Winery – anew concept in urban cellars –and came up with the idea ofusing this unique platform tointroduce quality Swiss winesinto the Big Apple. Respondingto this initiative, two Valaisian

wine cellars, Provins Valais andJean-René Germanier Vins, deci-ded to join forces in a common

bottling project. The City Winerybrings together in one place thetwo greatest passions of its crea-tor Michael Dorf: wine and mu-

sic. Much more thana simple cellar, atnight it transforms it-self into a live musicclub, where famousmusicians such as Su-zanne Vega or ElvisCostello have takenthe stage. In a shortspace of time, this le-gendary place quik-

kly became a magnet for a hipand affluent generation insearch of live music and greatwines from all over the world.Won over by this unique con-cept, the two wine producersfrom the Valais have shipped abarrel of their best wines acrossthe Atlantic: a Cayas, Syrah duValais 2008 from Jean-René Ger-manier Vins and a Petite Arvine“Cru des Domaines” 2007 fromProvins Valais. This pioneeringvoyage marks the historic arri-val of the first two barrels ofSwiss wine in New York.On May 3rd 2010 the first “Swiss

Roland Vérger (Provins) and Jean-René Germanier while bottling the Swiss Wineshipped to New York

The party is in full swing at the City Winery in New York

Wine Bottling Party” took place.Winemakers, sommeliers, wineexperts, gourmands, wine im-porters, wine enthusiasts, andmembers of the media wereamongst those invited to attendthis first-of-its-kind event forSwiss wines. A colourful eventthat introduced them to the sec-ret of Swiss Wine.

TEXT: CHANDRA KURT

PHOTOS: FRED RUEGG

www.swisswineinthecity.comwww.provins.ch

www.jrgermanier.chwww.chandrakurt.com

www.citywinery.com

Georgia and Susanne, alias the Wine Ladies interviewing Chandra Kurt

Judging from the empty bottles, the Swiss wines werea success

We ship nationwide. 703-321-3672 [email protected] and taste Switzerland. www.TheSwissBakeryOnline.com

Rivella, CaotinaOvomaltine

Swiss ChocolatesBreads, Cheese

Page 7: Page1 3 10 · 2014-09-19 · SCHWEIZER REVUE Oktober2005/Nr.5 SW ISS REVIEW,A UGUS T201 0/No3 NewYo rk OutstandingWoman: BarbaraRivera-Berger EntreNosotras,Inc.,anorgani-zation established

Regio

nalnew

s7

New YorkCreative Swiss ClubMembers

The Hudson Mohawk Swiss Soci-ety held its Annual Meeting onApril 11 in Albany, NY. For thisoccasion we asked our membersto share their creativity with alland bring in some examples oftheir art and crafts. The resultwas absolutely wonderful. Wedid not really know that therewere so many talented membersin our Society, painters, wea-vers, wood carvers, doll and je-welry makers, print makers andfabric artists. Here are a fewpictures of the event.

MARIE-LOUISE MCHUGH

[email protected]

From left to right: Angela Baggenstoss (painter), Roland Rickenbach (miniature maker), Anita Wahlen (grass weaving)

From left to right: Paul Tobler, William Wilson and Lois Wilson (doll and Jewelrymaker)

John Moore talking about one of his paintings

Tohru Takehoshi (works with leaves) Heinrich Medicus (prints)

Lois Wilson demonstrating herCinderella Doll

TRANSPORTING

. HOUSEHOLD GOODS

. AUTO & BOAT

. AIR & OCEAN

USA contacts:TRANSCONTAINER TRANSPORT INC.

East Coast777 Passaic Ave.Clifton, NJ 07012Tel. +1(973)272.0201 or1.800.582.0230E: [email protected]

West Coast - TTI FORWARDING320 Pine Ave., Ste 1000Long Beach, CA 90802Tel. +1(562) 437.4210 or

1.800.325.3811E: [email protected]

www.transcontainer.com

Swiss contacts:GONDRAND AGIndustriestrasse 108152 Glattbrugg

Tel. +41 44 828 6830E: [email protected]

www.gondrand.ch

Direct Service USATO AND FROM Switzerland

SW

ISS

RE

VIE

WA

UG

US

T20

10/

No3

Page 8: Page1 3 10 · 2014-09-19 · SCHWEIZER REVUE Oktober2005/Nr.5 SW ISS REVIEW,A UGUS T201 0/No3 NewYo rk OutstandingWoman: BarbaraRivera-Berger EntreNosotras,Inc.,anorgani-zation established

SC

HW

EIZ

ER

RE

VU

E O

ktob

er 2

/ N

r. 5

SW

ISS

RE

VIE

W,

AU

GU

ST

10 /

No

Atlanta100 Years Old Swiss

Anna Kinsel

Walter (Paul) Matter

The Secret Life of PollenSwiss Photographers featured in National Geographic MagazineIf you have been one of millions of people sneezing and sniffling and suffering from hay fever over the past months, you might not think pollen is such a beautiful thing. But Swiss scientific photographer Martin Oeggerli may convince you otherwise. Oeggerli calls himself a “micronaut” be-cause he explores the world of the small, using an electron scanning microscope to capture images that are barely visible to the naked eye. His pollen photos reveal not only their amazing designs and colors, but also details about their life. “He ex-plores the natural world at the intersection of science and art,” says Todd James, Senior Photo Editor of National Geographic Magazine, who recently devoted an entire article and photo gallery to Oeggeli’s beautiful and detailed photographs of pollen. See more of Oeggerli’s work on his website: http://www.micronaut.ch/ (Photo of Hakea pollen © Micronaut)

ARTICLE REPRODUCED FROM “WWW.SWISSINFO.CH”

Swiss Review wishes to congratulate our two newest Centenarians.

Anna Kinsel will have to wait until the last day of this year to celebrate her birthday. She was born on December 31, 1910 in Lang-nau am Albis (ZH). She is a citizen from Ad-liswil (ZH), and lives in Little Rock, Arkan-sas.

Walter (Paul) Matter already had the occa-sion to celebrate. He was born on June 29, 1910 in Singen (Hohentwiel, Germany). He is a citizen of Muhen (AG), and lives in Palm Harbor, Florida

Hakea pollen

Coffeehouse qualityin the comfort of your home

The NEW Palazzo from SOLIS is the ultimate in home espresso machines. It offers: Espresso and Café Crème at the touch of a button; Steam at the turn of a knob; and a built in bypass chute that permits the use of pre-ground coffee (decaf) so that no one is left out. Producing delicious coffeehouse quality lattes and cappuccinos at home has never been so easy.

SOLIS Master 5000 $ 899.00

SOLIS Master 5000 Digital, $ 1049.00

SOLIS Palazzo $ 1199.00

SPECIAL OFFERReceive a 5 % discount if you

mention offer code CH05 when placing your order.

Premiumcoffeemaker by:GULF COAST CONSULTING ENTERPRISES INC.Phone: 941 380 [email protected]

All prices subject to change