Survive Vi Continue to live or exist Of the six people in the plane that crashed, only one survived. These plants cannot survive in very cold conditions. The family are struggling to survive on very little money.Vt. Continue to live or exist in spite of nearly being killed or destroyed by sth The front passengers were lucky to survive the accident.The plants may not survive the frost.
Survival n. survivingThe doctors told my wife I had a good chance of survival.England are fighting for survival in the match.
Survivor n. person who has survived He was the only survivor of the plane crash.She's a cancer survivor/a survivor of cancer.
remainThe fact remains _________________ 2. It was merely midnight but the shops remained ______(open) 3. The death of the boss still remains _________ 4. The lady said she would buy a gift for her daughter with the ____________ remain20 dollars.= with the 20 dollars _________ (leave)
1)The pilot asked all the passengers on board to remain ________ as the plane was making a landing .( 2004 A seat B seating C seated D to be seating
2)Have a trip abroad is certainly good for the old couple, but it remains_______ whether they will enjoy it. (2002) A. to see B. to be seen C. seeing D. seen
Remain leave He ________ silent all the time when talked to. In spite of their quarrel, they _________ the best of friends.The doctor ordered him to _________ in bed for a few days.She left with the _________ 20cents.Only a few hundred of these animals ______ today. There is nothing _______ in the fridge.A great many things remain _________(do). The accident ______ a scar on her leg.to be done remained remain remaining remain left remained left
Worth, worthy, worthwhile The book is _______ about 20 yuan. I think this matter is _______ our attention. The question is not worth _______(discuss) again and again. The article is _______ of careful study. The article is worthy _________ (study) carefully. The article is worthy __________(study) carefully. It is _______ to try this experiment . She considers teaching a _______ career.worthworthdiscussing worthyof being studiedto be studiedworthwhileworthwhile\worthy
1.in search of 2.belong to 3. in return 4. serve as 5. at war 6. less than 7.remain a mystery 8. be worth doing sth 9. take sth apart 10.think highly of 11. take turns to do sth
1) The house was belonged to an old lady.
2) China is a country is belonging to the Third World.
which belongs/ belonging
+ ()at war/work/home/table/reston show/duty/sale/holiday/fire/watch/ business/leavein trouble/danger/battle/doubtunder repair/discussion/construction
in return ( for) /What will you do _____ for his kindness. A. in general B. in return C. in honor D. in praise1. He gave me a book as a gift, and I bought him a pen _________.2. Each of us collects the mail ___________.3. The clean environment can help a city to gain bid for the Olympic Games, and __________it can promote the city's economic development.
in turnin returnin turn\by turns
In honour of In memory of In praise of In search of In need of In place of
There is no doubt that the boxes were put on a train for Konigesberg,---.(P2)
doubt Vt.Nobody doubted his ability. I dont doubt that \---Do you doubt that? ---I doubt whether / if
doubt n. without ( a ) doubt =certainly in doubt =uncertain, undecided no doubt =very probably
He is without doubt the cleverest student Ive ever taught.successful:The future of the stadium is in doubt because of a lack of money.We will, no doubt, discuss these issues again at the next meeting.No doubt (that )you'll want to unpack and have a rest before dinner.
There is no doubt that---\about sth.---There is no chance that--- ---There is no need to do sth. There is no \much point in doing sth .It is no wonder that--- ---It is no use\good doing sth. ---
1) There is no doubt _____ John will come on time. A. if B. why C. that D. how2) We dont doubt _____ he can do a good job of it. A. what B. why C. whether D. that
1.Before the Christmas Eve, people will d__________ the houses and streets.2.The number of whales is rather small and it is very r________ to be found now.3.Her parents died in the accident, but luckily she s___________.4. There was a choice of four prizes, and the winner could s__________ one of them.5. Have you seen the d__________ for the new shopping centre? They are on show at the museum. ecorate are urvived select esigns
6. The men came to r______ the rubbish from the backyard, which is very dirty.7. A bomb e________ at one of London's busiest railway stations this morning.8. The Titanic was a passenger ship which s______ to the bottom of the ocean in 1912.9.A s__________ is a person who works on a ship as a member of its crew.10. There are two e______ ,by which you can enter the cinema - one at the front and one round the back.emove xploded ankailor ntrances
He had given me so much help that I really wanted to do something for him ____________ .2. There are many people present at the English contest, who __________ the different classes.3. Mr. Smith _______________ our city, which was a great encouragement to us. 4. The girl looked everywhere ____________ her lost pen.in returnbelong to thought highly ofin search ofIn search of, belong to , in return, at war, take apart, think highly of, serve as, to ones surprise, take turns to do sth, less than
5. At that time Germany was _________ with almost all the countries in the world.6.The judge said the punishment would ________ a warning to others.7.The boy ________ his toy car, but couldnt put it together again.8.Much ________, she found her necklace missing on her way home.9.It is not only he that cleans the room. We ____________ it.10.Doctors are _________ helpful in treating this condition.at warserved astook apartto her surprisetake turns to do less than
1.(consider)2.(worth)3.(belong )4.(in return, which)5. (no wonder)6.(no doubt, think highly of)
I consider what he said reasonable.In my opinion, the film is well worth seeing. Do you know who this vase belongs to?She gave us food and clothes and asked for nothing in return, which make us very happy. He had received a gift. No wonder how happy he was.She is both clever and hard-working. There is no doubt that we think highly of her.
(bronze vessel) (maid)
It is reported that an ancient bronze vessel robbery recently was solved by the police in Henan Province. The rare relie ones belonged to one of emperors in Xia Dynasty. It is 4 years since it was robbed on its way from Beijing to Guangzhou as a gift for Guangzhou Museum. Since then the police had been looking into the incident. They were trying to find out the eyewitnesses and being in search of any practical evidence of the vessel. Several months later, the police were informed by one maid. She said that she found a metal vessel with fancy design was on its way secretly to a village with the help of some guys, doubting it and reporting it to the police. It proved true
when the police pretended to be buyers beforethem. The guys were about to heat and melt the treasure when they were caught. Luckily the vessel remained in a good state. Besides, in return, the maid was highly thought of and rewarded a large sum.
Consider: 1consider +n / doing / wh- + to do :____________2) consider + clause:_________________ 3) consider sb. /sth as :_________, :
regard as treat as think of aslook onastakeas
1. Many things _____impossible in the past are quite common today . A having being considered B considered C. to be considered D. considering 2. Charle is generally considered ______________ the first computer. (invent )3. _____________(consider) he was new at the job, he did quite well.4. All things _____________(consider) , he is the right person for the job. to have invented Considering considered
The police ____ the prisoner to see if he had a gun. A. searched for B. searched C. was in search of D. was in their search of2. They came here ____ the car they had lost. A. search B. search for C. search about D. in search ofsearch
proved difficult prove
1) The great invention he made _____ of great benefit to the whole world. A. is proved B. has proved C. has been proved D. is proved to be
3) It __________(prove) to be much more __________than she had supposed.
1. _____ a few faults, she is a trustworthy teacher. A. Apart B. Apart from C. Beside D. Besides2. I dont think you can ____ the two brothers apart. A. say B. tell C. speak D. read
take apart : He took the machine apart and spread the bits all over the floor. apart from: (1) expect (2) ,besidesApart from the cost, the dress doesnt suit me. tell apart
1.--Excuse me, sir. Would you do me a favor?-- Of course. What is it?--I______ if you could tell me how to fill out this form.am wondering B. did wonderC. had wondered D. would wonde