Workshop at ASB Unplugged 2014, Mumbai, India. http://learningconfluence.wikispaces.com/Global+Collaboration+Curriculum
1. Designing Engaging Curriculum for Global Collabora4on in the Classroom ASB Unplugged 2014 Hands-on Learning Ins4tute learningconuence.wikispaces.com Julie Lindsay
2. Julie Lindsay Director Learning Confluence P/L MA Music, MA Educational Technology Leadership EdD Student, University of Southern Queensland @julielindsay | about.me/julielindsay learningconfluence.com | flatconnections.com
3. Lets get started.. OPEN this WIKI: hSp://learningconuence.wikispaces.com/ Follow link to Designing Engaging Curriculum
4. AGENDA PART 1 Ge)ng started with global projects and collabora:ve pedagogy PART 2 Global project curriculum design PART 3 Design, pitch and evaluate global projects
5. GeVng started with global projects and collabora4ve pedagogy PART 1
6. Discuss! What is collaboration? What is global collaboration? What conditions must exist to support global collaboration in learning?
7. What is Collabora4on? Something we do already Enhanced using technology More than coopera4on Aligned with standards
8. ISTE NETS.S Students use digital media and environments to communicate and work collabora:vely, including at a distance Develop cultural understanding and global awareness by engaging with learners of other cultures.
9. ISTE NETS.T Collaborate with students, peers, parents, and community members using digital tools and resources to support student success and innova:on
10. Dening the Global Collabora4ve Classroom A classroom that is: connected engages with multiple audiences engages with diverse resources, and tools creates authentic, collaborative learning outcomes
11. Challenges of Global Collabora4on Having realistic expectations Going Beyond the Wow Shifting traditional pedagogies Engaging learners and leaders
12. Why Global Collabora4on? Global competency d ills an l sk ltura ded to -cu cross ding nee ones The stan side nder icate out o act on u un . d t comm nment an gnicance i o envir of global s s issue International mindedness Cultural awareness . e. ike m ome ways t l is no n s yone like me i er Ev ne is veryo E Glocalisation! ! Local Act and bal k Glo Thin
13. Global Learning: Holis:c and Flat Global Project Design Blended Learning Culture of sharing Flipped Classroom Inter- connected Collabora4ve Connected Learning Leadership for connected learning Project & Challenge- based Flat Learning Pedagogy Web 2.0
14. Recipe to FlaSen Your Classroom Simple ACTIONS to Go Global
15. Simple ACTIONS to Go Global Collaborate Ci:zenship Choice Create Communicate Connect Global, Flat, Connected Classroom Celebrate
16. Connection Personal Learning Network (PLN)
17. Connection Strategies for meaningful interactions You School Students
19. Connection Taxonomy Vicki Davis and Julie Lindsay, FlaSening Classrooms, Engaging Minds. Pg 55
20. Connec:on Teacherpreneur 'Good teacherpreneurs aren't renegades; they are connectors' hSp://www.ickr.com/photos/51035553780@N01/344832591
21. Connec4on! The 2 minute challenge How connected are you as an educator? How are you connec:ng your students to the world?
22. Communica:on The Handshake hSp://padlet.com/wall/asb2014 Image: 'customer-loyalty_reten4on.jpg hSp://www.ickr.com/photos/36001761@N02/3364250371
23. Communica:on Two types to sustain a global project Tradi:onal Classroom Connected at Classroom Separated by Loca4on Unied by the Internet Separated by Time Unied by asynchronous communica4on tools SYNCHRONOUS and ASYNCHRONOUS
24. Communicate Synchronously
25. Red arrow poin4ng to latest ac4vity by students on the Ning Flat Connec:ons Global Project Ning (Educa:onal Community) - Connect - Communicate Blue arrow poin4ng to global real 4me chat by students on the Ning Communicate - Blended
27. Digital Citizenship the norms of behavior with regard to technology use Ribble and Bailey
28. Enlightened Digital Citizenship model Vicki Davis and Julie Lindsay 2011
29. Ci:zenship Global competency and confidence
30. Digiteen/tween project outcomes Team forma:on, Handshakes Research Topics, Collabora:ve Wiki Authorship Ac:on Project Design and Implementa:on Celebra:on, Reec:on, Sharing outcomes
31. Be a DigiTeacher Research the technology and lead the way Monitor and be engaged Avoid the fear factor & make a dierence Model legal wisdom & choose your own copyright hSp://www.ickr.com/photos/cogdog/8540095171/
32. Ci4zenship! The Ci:zenship! 2 minute challenge Digital Ci:zenship What are you doing in your school to foster global digital ci4zenship?
33. If Collabora4on is a needed & required 21st Century skill, educators need to not only teach it, but employ & model it as well
34. Online Existence The weakness is that if there is a problem, and you e-mail them, they can just ignore the email, or they can just do their own thing and not listen to what you ask of them. Student in the Horizon Project
35. FlaSening the classroom is technology enabled collabora4on hSp://www.ickr.com/photos/superkimbo/3940303947/
36. Collabora4on! The 2 minute challenge Ci:zenship! Contribu:on and Collabora:on How do you teach collabora4on? What technology tools foster collabora4on?
37. Beefsteak or liver quite took away Philips power of choice. He begged for a glass of milk MARK TWAIN PuVng choice into the classroom will naturally direct students toward their own interests and strengths. It can allow students to shine in unimaginable ways. Fla$ening Classrooms Chapter 7
38. Using Web 2.0 technologies to: Ques4on Build Invent Connect Have meaning Understand Excel hSp://www.ickr.com/photos/35590362@N02/5791320785/
39. Choices for dierent learning styles http://k-2buildingbridges.blogspot.com/2012/04/voicethread-sharing.html
40. To be able to Create is a 21C Learning Objective
41. Revised 2001 by Lorin Anderson
42. Challenge yourself. From Create To Co-create
43. Co-creation Co-creating a Popplet with students around the globe. Robyn Thiessen - Vancouver, B.C.
46. Celebrate New friends and achievements Reflect and evaluate A sense of accomplishment Enhanced cultural understanding Making the world a better place
47. The 2 minute challenge What is missing here? What would you add? Take away? How will you use this in your classroom or in your school on Monday morning? Collaborate Choice Ci:zenship Create Communicate Connect Flat, Global, Connected Classroom Celebrate
48. Time to Team Up Find like-minded partners hSp://padlet.com/wall/asb2014 Awer break sit together