Ranse J. (2011). Role of intensive care and emergency nurses in disasters; presented to students of the University of Canberra – Postgraduate Critical Care Nursing, Canberra, ACT, 30th August.
- 1. ROLE OF INTENSIVE CARE AND EMERGENCY NURSES IN DISASTERS Jamie Ranse Assistant Professor University of Canberra www.jamieranse.com twitter.com/jamieranse youtube.com/jamieranse linkedin.com/in/jamieranse http://lifelineenergy.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/jap-11.jpg
Img: http://www.prcs.org.pk/disaster.asp 3. disaster definition 4. disaster definition Queensland and Victorian extreme weather events, 2011 Cyclone Tracy, 1974 Granville train crash and bridge collapse, 1977 Ash Wednesday, 1983 Newcastle earthquake, 1989Canberra bushfires, 2003 Black Saturday and Victorian bushfires, 2009 Pandemic (H1N1), 2009 SARS outbreak, 2003Indian Ocean tsunami, 2004Bali bombings, 2005Java earthquake, 2006Yogyakarta air crash, 2007SIEV explosion Ashmore Reef, 2009Pacific tsunami, 2009Pakistan floods, 2010SIEV sinking Christmas Island, 2010Christchurch Earthquake, 2011 5. role
6. role: in-hospital
- Little research / literature, therefore anecdotal
7. surge capacity?
8. surge capacity? 9. surge capacity? 10. surge capacity? 11. role
12. role: out-of-hospital 13. project 1: results mock disaster type 14. project 1: results roles 15. project 2: results role 16. role: out-of-hospital 17. willingness 18. ability 19. education
20. aim Describe the disaster content in post-graduate emergency nursing programs in Australia Img http://tenancyplus.blogspot.com/2011/06/natural-disasters-and-their-effect-on.html 21. results: disaster content overview
- Elements of disaster content in courses:
- Community and public health response
- Communications Techniques
- Management of the dead and dying
- Role of other organisations in disaster response
- Mental health in relation to disasters
- Populations with specific needs
- Health effects of disasters
23. other things
- Disasters happen out of hours
- Government / registered NGO?
24. ROLE OF INTENSIVE CARE AND EMERGENCY NURSES IN DISASTERS Jamie Ranse Assistant Professor University of Canberra www.jamieranse.com twitter.com/jamieranse youtube.com/jamieranse linkedin.com/in/jamieranse http://lifelineenergy.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/jap-11.jpg