- 1.Image: 'flickr time' www.flickr.com/photos/86438096@N00/274238061 Trekking through theWorld of InformationEffective Search Strategies for Teachers
2. Definition of the Net TheInternetis the publicly accessible worldwide system of interconnectedcomputer networksthat transmit data bypacket switchingusing a standardizedInternet Protocol(IP).It is made up of thousands of smaller commercial, academic, domestic andgovernment networks. It carries various information and services, such aselectronic mail ,online chat , and the interlinkedweb pagesand other documents of theWorld Wide Web . 3. How big is the web?
- 56 billion static web pagesare publicly available on the World Wide Web.
- Another estimated 6 billion static pages are available within private intranet sites
- 200+ billion database-driven pagesare available as dynamic database reports ("invisible web" pages)
- Google.com indexes9.75 billionweb pages.
Image: 'Released to Public: Sinai Penninsula and Dead+Sea+from+Space+Shuttle+Columbia,+March+2002+(NASA)' www.flickr.com/photos/39735679@N00/491430005 4. Today
- Only 50 Billion is static web
- Google has only indexed 20%
- Daily Web Space increases by 100,000 websites
Image: 'LOGO2.0 part I' http://www.flickr.com/photos/16851909@N00/93136022 5. Search Strategy
- Choose appropriate key words
Image: 'http://www' www.flickr.com/photos/65919269@N00/557840620 6. Searching the Free Web Image: 'PSP Browser vs Landscape Dell X50v www.flickr.com/photos/44124452748@N01/29502230
7. A few search engines 8. Metacrawler 9. 10. Boolean Searching Add+ABC Minus-ABC DefaultDEF OR ABC Exact phraseABC Wild cardABC* SynonymABC~ 11. Samples OR NOT AND http://www.internettutorials.net/boolean.html 12. Deep Web
- The invisible webis a vast repository of information that search engines don't have access to, such as databases
- Private networks,called intranets, that are not actually hooked up to the Web
- Forms , like ColdFusion or CGI
- Password-protected sites , like a university library
- Sites thatintentionally,for various reasons, keep their information from being indexed by search engine spiders
Image: 'Andromeda, again.' www.flickr.com/photos/13447091@N00/251478651 13. Effective habits:
- Use The "Three Strikes" Rule
- Use Specialized Search Sites
Image: 'no denial' www.flickr.com/photos/60648084@N00/2462966749 14. Web Evaluation Techniques Before you click to view the page...
- Look at the URL -personal page or site ?~or% orusersormembers
- Domain name appropriate for the content ? edu, com, org, net, gov, ca.us, uk, etc.
- Published by an entity that makes sense ?
- Advice from valid agency?
15. Web Evaluation TechniquesScan the perimeter of the page
- Can you tell who wrote it ?
- organization, institution, agency you recognize
- e-mail contact by itself not enough
- Credentials for the subject matter ?
- About usPhilosophyBackgroundBiography
- Is it recent or current enough ?
- Look for last updated date - usually at bottom
16. Web Evaluation Techniques Indicators of quality
- As detailed as you expect in print publications ?
- Information retyped or forged
- why not a link to published version instead ?
17. Web Evaluation Techniques What Do Others Say ?
- Search the URL in alexa.com
- Who links to the site? Who owns the domain?
- Type or paste the URL into the basic search box
- Traffic for top 100,000 sites
- See what links are in GooglesSimilar pages
- Look up the page author in Google
18. Web Evaluation Techniques STEP BACK&ASK:Does it all add up ?
- Why was the page put on the Web ?
- inform with facts and data?
- Is it appropriate for your purpose?
19. Try evaluating some sites...
- Search a controversial topic in Google:
- Scan the first two pages of results
- try to evaluate their quality and reliability
20. Other Internet Politics
- Copyright, Fair Use & Plagiarism
- Where did the info come from?
- public domain? creative commons?
21. Citation Generator 22. http: //theconnectedclassroom . wikispaces . com/Digital_Images What about images? 23. 24. Why Use NetTrekker?
- Searches are Academically relevant
Image: 'Questions' http://www.flickr.com/photos/42788859@N00/318947873 25. Why Use NetTrekker?
- Educator reviewed & evaluated
- Aligned to state standards
- Rated by readability level
Image: 'question mark ?' www.flickr.com/photos/49968232@N00/12364944 Image: 'question mark ?' www.flickr.com/photos/49968232@N00/12364944 26. http://middle.nettrekker.com/userinfo/pa.epl Register Create User Name Passcode & enter YOUR IUS Keyword 27. Regular Logon school.nettrekker.com 28. 29. 30. 31. 32.
- Drill down through headings
33. Lets Start Searching!