1. Field Trips Making trips enjoyable and safe for your students Have you ever had a field trip where your students were a bit unruly and dreamt of having a well behaved, drama free outing?
2. How to plan a successful, safe, fun outing for your students: Prepare yourself for the trip Set student expectations Choose the right chaperones Count, Count, Count!
3. Prepare Yourself for the Trip Make a list of items that you will want to take and prepare them the day before the field trip Note: Remember to take any necessary medications for your students Create a Cheat Sheet for the chaperones that includes the days itinerary, rules, your cell phone information, names of kids in each Chaperones group, and any additional necessary information. It helps to meet early (before students arrive) with parents to review the cheat sheet, answer questions, and plan for the outing.
4. Set Student Expectations Discuss expectations ahead of time by teaching and reviewing appropriate behavior with your class. Ensure your students understand they are representing your school and remember to discuss how proud you were that they behaved after the trip Prior to the trip give the students a task to learn ahead of time. Engaging the students to ensure they have a basic knowledge of the location and subject will help to keep the students engaged.
5. Choose the right Chaperones Observe your students parents from the beginning of the school year and look for those who are responsible, on-time, mature and firm with their children. Having a mindful parent as an extra set of eyes will come in handy on field trip day.
6. Count, Count and Count Again! Obviously keeping track of every student is of utmost importance. As the teacher you will be counting heads over and over throughout the day. It is helpful to have Chaperones assist you with counting and keeping tabs of students. Counting often will help to ensure no students get lost (or can more easily be found if one did wander away).
7. Remember to : Prepare yourself for the trip Set student expectations Choose the right chaperones Count, Count, Count!