Cellular Respiration/Photosynthesis Note Packet
Heterotrophs and autotrophs go through the process of cellular respiration to
Before autotrophs go through the process of cellular respiration they have to go
through the process of _____________________________________________________
The energy that is released during cellular respiration is packaged in the form of
*During cellular respiration, glucose combines with oxygen to produce carbon dioxide and
water (and ATP). Write the chemical equation below:
*For heterotrophs (like us!) the ____________________ comes from the food we eat.
*The respiratory system carries
____________________ to the
circulatory system. The circulatory
system in turn, carries
_____________________ to every cell
in the human body.
*Oxygen is able to
__________________ into the cell
while carbon dioxide ______________
out of the cell.
*Once inside the cell, oxygen moves
into the _________________________
Glycolysis -> First Step in cellular respiration
* Glycolysis takes place in the_____________________. During glycolysis, _____________
* 4 ATP molecules are formed; however, glycolysis requires 2 ATP to break apart each
molecule of glucose. Therefore,_________________________________________________
* ATP stands for_____________________________________.
* The bond linking the last phosphate group is a
______________________________.When the third
phosphate is removed and bonded to another compound,
___________________________________, glycolysis leads to two other pathways; the
-> this is an aerobic pathway.
Krebs Cycle & Electron Transport Chain
* The final two stages of cellular respiration take place in the________________________.
* During the Krebs cycle and the Electron Transport Chain,__________________________
* If oxygen is NOT present,____________________________________________________.
-> this is an anaerobic pathway
* No ATP is produced during fermentation; thus,___________________________________
Alcoholic Fermentation -> produces ethyl alcohol and carbon dioxide
Lactic Acid Fermentation -> produces lactic acid and carbon dioxide
*The Krebs cycle occurs in the
*The electron transport chain occurs in the
Review of Cellular Respiration
1) Cellular respiration that is carried out without oxygen is aerobic. __________
2) Glucose serves as a reactant during cellular respiration. __________
3) Heterotrophs obtain glucose as a product of photosynthesis. ___________
4) During cellular respiration, energy is produced in the form of ATP. ___________
5) The electron transport chain occurs during aerobic respiration. ___________
6) Glycolysis takes place in the mitochondria. ___________
7) The process that breaks a glucose molecule in half is fermentation. ___________
8) During aerobic respiration, the majority of ATP is made in the mitochondria. __________
9) Anerobic respiration is more efficient than aerobic respiration at making ATP. __________
10) Yeast cells undergo fermentation. _________
Where does all of the energy needed to sustain life come from? _________________________
The arrows below indicate _________________________________________.
Autotrophs are ___________________________________________________________
Heterotrophs are _________________________________________________________
*The following equation summarizes the process of photosynthesis.
Carbon Dioxide + Water Glucose + Oxygen
Details of photosynthesis
* The process of photosynthesis begins _____________________________________________
* The most important photosynthetic pigment in plants is ________________________ : this
is what gives plants a green color.
autotrophs (like plants)
use the sunlight to
produce their own food
Heterotrophs (like us!)
cannot make their own
food -> they must
consume plants and
other animals to obtain
The sun gives off
energy in the form of
light and heat. Plants
are able to absorb
Summary of Photosynthesis
1.___________________________ inside the chloroplasts absorbs photons of light. (a photons
2. The energy is used, along with carbon dioxide, to blow water apart.
3. ________________________is produced.
4. ________________________is released.
*More specifically, chlorophyll is found within the
* Chlorophyll is found in the ________________________ -> an organelle found only in plant cells.
Internal Leaf Structure
How does photosynthesis relate to cellular respiration?
*Photosynthesis and cellular respiration are______________________________________.
Photosynthesis uses the energy of sunlight to produce sugars.
The same sugars in turn serve as food (for both authotrophs and heterotrophs).
Cellular respiration __________________________________________________
Review of Photosynthesis
1) Heterotrophs can produce their own food. __________
2) The chemical equation for photosynthesis is the opposite of the chemical equation for cellular respiration. __________
3) Photosynthesis used the energy from sunlight to produce water and carbon dioxide.
4) Photosynthesis occurs in the mitochondria. __________
5) It makes sense to talk to your plants. __________