Rich Lesperance's SXSW Keynote: How Walgreens "changed the game" by relentlessly pursuing innovations for customers to interact with Walgreens in new ways.
Text of Rich Lesperance - Brand Building Through Disruptive Mobile Innovation (SXSW Opening Keynote)
1. Brand-Building throughDisruptive Mobile InnovationRich LesperanceMarch 8th, 20132013 Walgreen Co. All rights reserved.
2. Charles Walgreen would have loved mobile apps 2013 Walgreen Co. All rights reserved. 2
3. Walgreens has a long history of innovation Stand-alone Pharmacies stores with Multiple Opened linked by drive-thru language First satellite pharmacies Rx labels In-store Clinic 1981 1992 2002 2006 1950 1960 1970 1980 1990 2000 2010 1950 1968 1991 1999 2005 2010 Self-service First with Point-of-sale Prescription Online Refill by stores child-resistant scanning history online digital photo scan containers 2013 Walgreen Co. All rights reserved. 3
4. Mobile is now a true omni-channel platform for innovation of Walgreens customers use our >40% app while in a Walgreens store million visits per week to 3.2 Walgreens.com via mobile Mobile feature our customers #1 asked for was store coupons 2013 Walgreen Co. All rights reserved. 4
5. In the next 3 years, over half of all retail sales willhappen online or be influenced by online channel 3,799 US Online and Web-Influenced Retail Sales 3,636 ($ Billions) 3,478 3,313 3,155 2,977 1,812 1,780 1,771 Non-Web 1,741 1,723 Influenced 1,672 Retail Sales 1,660 1,429 1,552 Web Influenced 1,206 1,320 1,103 Retail Sales Online Retail Sales 202 226 252 278 304 327 US online and web 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016influenced as a % of total retail sales 44% 45% 47% 49% 51% 52% Source: Forrester Research (June 2012) 5 2013 Walgreen Co. All rights reserved.
6. And our Mobile customers spend the most Walgreens Avg Spend per Customer Average annual spend, 2011 6X ($) 4X 3.5X Store ONLY Store Store Store + + + Online MOBILE Online + Source: Internal research MOBILE 6 2013 Walgreen Co. All rights reserved.
7. We asked: Why is Walgreens your favorite app? Source: internal research 2012 7 2013 Walgreen Co. All rights reserved.
8. Our first big hit was a game-changing utility % of online refills from mobile >50% 10% 2010 Today Source: Internal research 8 2013 Walgreen Co. All rights reserved.
9. And then we had an epiphany The real voyage of discovery is not in seeing new lands, but in seeing with new eyes Marcel Proust, 1923 2013 Walgreen Co. All rights reserved. 9
10. Basically, this was Mobile Marketing 1.0 2013 Walgreen Co. All rights reserved. 10
11. Now we are using Mobile to inspire 200K checkins, 10 MM stories, 9 Industry awards 2013 Walgreen Co. All rights reserved. 11
12. We can make shopping even easier 2013 Walgreen Co. All rights reserved. 12
13. We can inspire people to print photos on their phones 2013 Walgreen Co. All rights reserved. 13
14. We can turn a successful pharmacy feature .into a broad mobile health platformManage Manage Family YourMembers Rewards Health Refill by ScanReminders Developer & Alerts Program 2013 Walgreen Co. All rights reserved. 14
15. What people are saying about Walgreens The apocalypse is upon us: Walgreens has an API and SDK.... The real story is that what we think of as traditional businesses are no longer traditional businesses. --VentureBeat.com Scanning prescriptions is so fun, I wish I had more prescriptions to fill! --Pharmacy customer wooohooo!! this is great..the Printworthy app is really amazing to surprise our friends with photos. --Facebook fan 2013 Walgreen Co. All rights reserved. 15
16. The New Reality for Brands in the Age of Mobile Your customers are more omnichannel than you Last years innovation is this years normal Theres no more online vs. offline If youre not changing the game, you missed the point Open your business to other developers Make way for non-conformists 2013 Walgreen Co. All rights reserved. 16