Get started developing mobile apps on Salesforce1 Platform! In this quick start you’ll download the Salesforce1
mobile app, log into your Developer Edition environment and modify the behavior of the app. Specifically, you’ll
learn how to customize navigation, modify a global action, and create an object-specific action and use it to
replace a standard action.
Step 1: Get a Developer Edition Environment
1. Visit http://developer.force.com/join and register. Be sure to use an email address you can access immediately.
2. Once you receive the activation email, click on the login link and set your password.
Now you’re ready to build your Salesforce1 mobile app! Leave this browser window open.
Note to existing customers: We recommend that you perform this step even if you have an existing Developer Edition
Org. This ensures you are running in the latest version of a Developer Edition environment. Please do not run this Quick Start
in a live production Org.
Step 2: Install the Salesforce1 Mobile App
1. Navigate to http://www.salesforce.com/mobile on your mobile device’s browser, select the appropriate
platform, and install the app.
2. Log in using your Salesforce username and password. Tap Email me a verification code when prompted.
Enter the code when prompted and tap Verify my code and log me in.
3. When prompted, grant Salesforce permission to access your info.
Note to Android users: The Salesforce1 Mobile App requires Android 4.2. If you have an earlier version of Android
running on your mobile device, you will need to upgrade to Android 4.2 before performing this step.
Step 3: Modify Navigation
1. Returning to your Developer Edition (DE) environment, click Setup and go to Mobile Administration > Mobile
2. Select Tasks in the Selected list, and move it to the top of the list using the Arrow buttons on the right.
3. Click Save.
4. Return to the Salesforce1 Mobile App on your mobile device, and tap the navigation icon until you see the
navigation bar. Notice that Tasks is not at the top of the list. To view your update, drag down and release the
navigation list. Tasks should now appear at the top of the list.
Step 4: Modify a Global Action
1. Within your DE environment, go to Setup > Create > Global Actions.
2. Next to Log a Call, click Layout.
3. Drag Status and Priority from the palette to the form and arrange them.
4. Click Save.
5. Open the Salesforce1 mobile app, tap the icon, and select Cases.
6. Tap New to create a new Case, then tap Save. The detail page should open automatically.
7. Tap in the lower-right corner to open the Publisher.
8. Tap Log a Call, noting the new fields and their arrangement on the form.
Step 5: Change an Object-Specific Action
In this step, we’ll create an action related to an object, then use it to replace the functionality of an existing
Create the Action
1. Click Setup, then go to Customize > Accounts > Buttons, Links, and Actions.
2. Click New Action.
3. For Action Type, select Create a Record.
4. For Target Object, select Case.
5. For Label, enter Create a Case.
6. Click Save. Click Save again to accept the default layout.
Add your action to the layout and replace the existing action.
1. Go to Setup > Customize > Accounts > Page Layouts.
2. Click Edit next to Account Layout.
3. Click Actions in the Account Layout Palette.
4. Click and drag your Create a Case action down to the section entitled Publisher Actions.
5. Remove New Case from the Publisher Actions section by dragging it up to the layout palette.
6. Click Save.
View your new action in the Salesforce1 mobile app:
1. Tap the icon and select Accounts.
2. Enter Burlington Textiles in the search box, then select the record.
3. Tap to open the Publisher. Note the New Case action has been replaced with the Create a Case
action you created.
You’ve completed the Quick Start. Customizing navigation, modifying global actions, and creating object-specific actions
is easy. Check out the Salesforce1 App Developer Guide to learn how to build Salesforce1 apps.
Salesforce1 Mobile App for Beginners