- 1.Welcome to Firstgivings Webinar
- The webinar will begin shortly
- Please be sure you are able to hear audio
If you are having any trouble with the above number, please call 888-387-8686 Enter 1935301 and press # 2. Presented by:Susannah Richardson, Firstgiving James Campbell, FirstgivingKathy Tricomi, Humane Society of Broward County 7 Deadly Online Fundraising Mistakes (and How to Avoid Them) Call: (641) 715-3222 Access code: 362-049-451 3. Agenda
- Person-to-person Online Fundraising
- Nonprofits: 4 Deadly Mistakes and Solutions
- Humane Society of Broward County Case Study
- Fundraisers: 3 Deadly Mistakes and Solutions
- Firstgiving Account Types
- Call: (641) 715-3222 Access code: 362-049-451
4. About Firstgiving
- - A leading provider of online fundraising tools
- - Established in 1999 in London and expanded to the US in 2003
- - Make possible for anyone, anywhere, to raise money for important causes
Since 1999, we have raised over $300 million for over 5,000 nonprofits worldwide!
- Call: (641) 715-3222 Access code: 362-049-451
5. What is Person-to-Person Fundraising? Donors
- People making personalized appeals for causes that are important to them
- Giving your supporters the ability to leverage their social network to make a difference
Your Nonprofit Supporters/ Fundraisers Donors 6. Example Fundraising Page
- They work to put a face to your organization
- They eliminate the fear of asking for people who dont like asking for money in person.
- Gives donors a convenient option to give by using their credit card
- Automatically generates donationreceipt , which may be used for tax purposes.
Progress thermometer Personal appeal Donations and comments 7. Donors Give to Their Friends and Leave a Comment Good luck with your recovery, I admire you more than you know!!! Glad to help! H.S. classmate of your dad. I am so proud of you! Better late than never I Gave More Than Martha, Thus I Care More.... You are an inspiration 8. Now: Deadly Nonprofit Mistakes 9. Mistake #1 Trying to Reinvent the Wheel
- Fundraising online doesnt mean forgetting everything youve already learned.
- Online fundraising is a supplement, not a replacement
- Dont disregard campaigns that have worked in the past
- Use online fundraising as another option for your supporters to help your nonprofit
- Integrate the twomention online options offline
10. Mistake #2 Neglecting Current Channels
- Fundraising online doesnt mean creating new conduitsmaximize what you already have in place
- Add a link to your Start Page to your ways to help section
- Add a link to your email signature
11. Mistake #3 Not Embracing the Internet and Social Media Everyone is on email, even 91% of internet users over 65! a) Give your supporters the opportunity to use it so they think about your cause in everyday life. Millions of Nonprofits and individuals have blogs, MySpace pages and Facebook profiles. a) Create them and showcase your fundraising efforts b) Encourage your supporters to do the same 12. Mistake #4 Neglecting Fundraisers
- Once youve recruited people to fundraise for you, dont forget about them.Often, theyll look to you for guidance.
- Separate those that are successful from those that arent
- Ask successful fundraisers what worked and pass on their advice to those who are struggling
- Send out encouraging emails, campaign examples and suggestions
13. Please Welcome Guest Speaker: Kathy Tricomi Director of Development 14.
- Walk for the Animals is HSBCs largest
- fundraising event.2008 netted nearly $475,000
- Strive to maximize return on investment
- Addinghas made a difference in
- our fundraising effectiveness
15. Walk for the Animals 2004 The Walk raised $292,000 the year before Firstgiving.2005 In our first year with Firstgiving, the Walk netted $385,000.$60,000 raised online from 272 pages. Avg. =$220/page 2008 This years Walk raised $193,000 online from 565 pages. Avg. =$342/page Firstgiving has also allowed for easier team creation.Our teams, or packs, each have their own fundraising team name, which lends itself to better organization for the pack leader. Pack members set up their own pages under this team name and then the leader is able to see all pack page totals and team total amount raised. 16. Money Raised Walker Participation 17.
- How we market online fundraising
- Inclusion on HSBC related materials (brochures, letters, etc.)
- Pack Recruitment / Pack Leader Training presentations
- Myspace.com page and Facebook page
18. Online Fundraising Benefits
- Security:Online fundraising is a safe and secure way for sponsors to donate to the Walk for the Animals
- Simple Registration:Pack members register and can then easily create their own personal web pages.
- Reach:Pack members are able to send their web page links to everyone in their email address book.This allows their friends & family to easily make a donation.
- Reporting:All donations collected on-line will be credited to that individual Pack member, as well as to the Packs grand total.
Remember the more money an individual collects,the greater the value of goodies he or she will be entitled to. 19. Type in your Packs name Insert a past Pack photo or add a personal photo Explain why youre walking or how your company is helping such a worthy cause 20.
- Reduces marketing expenses
- Money raised is direct deposit
- Donor reports are easy to retrieve
- Rarely receive questions, e.g. How do I set up my FG page?
- Donors receive an immediate thank you that the
- Cost minimal start-up; reasonable processing fee
- Always available tech support for us and donors
- Increased revenue with minimal effort from us
- I love using Firstgiving because I can get donations from around the
- world with ease!People in Germany and Japan were able to give to
- my Walk for the Animals page with a click of the mouse.
- Online fundraising equals no excuses! Giving people the technology
- to create personalized web pages and manage their efforts online is
- the way it needs to be in today's www-based world.
- Online fundraising is great because it is so easy to set up and I was
- able to send the link to so many people. Visibility is great! I didn't
- have to ask for donations face to face, which is sometimes
- uncomfortable. Donating online was easily done as well.
23. Thank you, Kathy! Next: Demo The Firstgiving Experience 24. Now:FundraisingDeadly Mistakes and Solutions 25. Mistake #5: Asking Once
- How many times have you wanted to help