Slide deck taken from a webcast hosted on July 19 by Veronica Bruhl and Ken Phillips of the Chicagoland chapter.Presentation includes:-testimonials/best practices from various ASTD chapters -how to approach a local academic instutition to partner with their chapter -the John Cone Membership Scholarship and how to inform local students about applying -requesting flyers, pens, goodies, and brochures to hand out at chapter events and on local campuses -Student SIG logos provided by national ASTD (new for August 2011) -the iPad Student Engagement Challenge - how to win an iPad for your chapter!
Engaging Students and
Higher Education Institutions
How to make the most of a great partnership!
Dr. Veronica Bruhl, CPLP & NACDr. Ken Phillips, CPLP & NAC
Today we will:• Learn about resources available to engage
students with your chapter• Participate in discussions with other chapter
leaders• Learn best practices for partnering with higher
National ASTD welcomes youand thanks you for your commitment.
National ASTD Resources• Student and New Professional Idea Book• Student Relations Job Description• John Coné Membership Scholarship • National Student Membership• Social Media• ASTD International Conference &
Exposition - Student Day • Interest Group Toolkit
Student and New Professional Idea Book
Student Relations Job Description
The John Coné ASTD Membership Scholarship
• Six Free One-Year Student Memberships• One Complimentary Registration to the 2012 ASTD
International Conference (May 6-9, Denver, Colorado) • Applications available: August 15, 2011 • Application deadline: November 15, 2011• Scholarship Recipient Announcement: December 15, 2011
National Student Membership
• $59 annual membership• 12 credit hours per year to qualify• 4% of national membership are student
members • Chapters may request a list of national
members (includes student members)
• ASTD Students Fan Page
• ASTD Students and Young Professionals
Student DayASTD International
Conference• Several registration options • 2011 Student Day activities included
– networking coffee and welcome– reserved seating at the General Session– student/career-focused session– tour of the EXPO– networking lunch with keynote speaker,
ASTD Chapter Interest Group Toolkit
• Chapter Interest Group Guide• Types of interest groups offered by
ASTD chapters (coming soon)• SOS submissions on interest groups• Interest Group Charter Form (sample)
ASTD Chapter Interest Group Guide
Chapter Resources & Best Practices
CCASTD Best Practices
Tara HawkinsDirector of University [email protected] • Student Membership Discount• Deb Colky Scholarship• Student Interest Group• Partnership with Colleges and Universities
• Student Membership Rate • Student SIG formed by Barry University
Graduate Students • President of Student SIGs sits on Chapter
Board • SIG is active on Chapter Social Media
– Challenge: As students graduate, new partnerships and SIGs need to be formed.
Things you can do immediately…
• Consider if your chapter is ready for students?• Consider how will you invite them? • Consider how will you make them feel included? • Create a Student Relations position on your Board.• Review or create a student membership category.• Bookmark the Chapter Leader Community and use the
resources. (www.astd.org/clc)• Communicate successes and challenges to chapter
coaches and NAC advisor.• Submit a Sharing Our Success (SOS) to be recognized for
your efforts www.astd.org/sos • Promote www.astd.org/students to your local student
community and student chapter members.• Promote John Coné Scholarship to community.
• Meeting space at college/university• Providing speakers from board or
members• Internships• Mentorships/Shadowing Program• Community Involvement
iPad Student Engagement Challenge
• Three iPads up for grabs• National ASTD will award three
winners (one winner in small, medium, and large chapter categories) to the chapters that engage with local students the most between January 1-September 31*, 2011.
Thank you for your leadership!
See you at ALC on Saturday, October 15! (Sunrise Session) - Student Engagement