Text of environmental certification for hotels and tourism businesses
1. ENVIRONMENTAL CERTIFICATION FOR HOTELS, TOURISM BUSINESSES AND THEIR SUPPLY CHAIN PARTNERS: INDIA, EUROPE, USA Bhavya Khamesra, Asst. Professor, Pacific Institute of Hotel Management, Udaipur, email@example.com Dr. Parul Mathur, Director, Pacific Institute of Hotel Management, Ahmedabad.
2. GO GREEN
3. ABSTRACT Keywords: Hotel and tourism environment certifications green hotels India Europe USA
4. OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY Assess the environment certification programmes in India , Europe & USA Comparison between the programmes of India and Europe
5. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY This research is an exploratory work where mostly secondary data is used. The data has been collected from various websites, books, industry managers, newspapers, trade magazines, journals, research articles etc.
6. INTRODUCTION Hotels must become ecofriendly in nature and follow ecofriendly practices and use ecofriendly products adopt clean and eco-friendly technologies environmentally-safe disposal of used products independent/ government agencies which give environmental certifications to the hotels.
7. sustained and equitable development audit of their ecofriendly practices. the list of green & ecofriendly hotels In India- the ITC hotels , fern hotels, orchid hotels LEED certification Best Ecofriendly hotel award was won by ITC Maurya, New Delhi in 2014 the Sunwing Resort,Greece in 2003
8. ECOFRIENDLY PRODUCTS/ ECOLABLE Ecolabelling advantages for the product manufacturer/ service provider: Attract investor attention Stay ahead of competition and increase revenue Identify cost saving potential Ecolabelling advantages for the Consumer: Make more informed choices Understand the implications of your buying decisions Avoid being taken in by "Green washing" claims
10. GREEN SIGNAL Indias first comprehensive sustainability ecolabel. The Green Signal functions under the aegis of the Centre for Innovation, Incubation and Entrepreneurship (CIIE) at the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIMA) The Green Signal is for ALL product and service groups
11. ISO 14000 - ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT The ISO 14000 family addresses various aspects of environmental management. organizations looking to identify and control their environmental impact and constantly improve their environmental performance. ISO 14001:2004 and ISO 14004:2004 focus on environmental management systems.
12. ISO 14001:2004 sets out the criteria for an environmental management system and can be certified to. system. It can be used by any organization regardless of its activity or sector. Using ISO 14001:2004 can provide assurance to company management and employees as well as external stakeholders that environmental impact is being measured and improved
13. The benefits of using ISO 14001:2004 can include: Reduced cost of waste management Savings in consumption of energy and materials Lower distribution costs Improved corporate image among regulators, customers and the public
14. GREEN BUILDING COUNCIL INDIA This is the Indian counterpart of USGBC (United States Green Building Council) is the source for up-to-date, high quality education on the rating systems. Its LEED is an internationally recognized green building program. It provides building owners and operators with a framework for identifying and implementing practical and measurable green building design, construction, operations and maintenance solution.
15. ITC GRAND CHOLA, CHENNAI
16. ECO-MARK SCHEME IN INDIA To increase consumer awareness, the Government of India launched the eco-labelling scheme known as `Ecomark' in 1991 for easy identification of environment-friendly products. Any product which is made, used or disposed of in a way that significantly reduces the harm it would otherwise cause the environment could be considered as Environment-Friendly Product.
17. INDIA ORGANIC - NATIONAL PROGRAMME FOR ORGANIC PRODUCTION (NPOP) The national programme involves the accreditation programme for certification bodies, norm for organic production, and promotion of organic farming. The NPOP standards for production and accreditation system have been recognized by European Commission and Switzerland as equivalent to their country standards. Similarly, USDA has recognized NPOP conformity assessment procedures of accreditation as equivalent to that of
19. LEED (LEADERSHIP IN ENERGY AND ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN) a voluntary, consensus-based, market-driven program that provides third-party verification of green buildings. LEED is transforming the way buildings are designed, constructed, and operated. Participation in the voluntary LEED process demonstrates leadership, innovation, environmental stewardship and social responsibility.
20. LEED provides building owners and operators the tools they need to immediately impact their buildings performance and bottom line, while providing healthy indoor spaces for a buildings occupants. LEED projects have been successfully established in 135 countries. International projects, those outside the United States, make up more than 50% of the total LEED registered square footage.
21. LEED-certified buildings are designed to: Lower operating costs and increase asset value Reduce waste sent to landfills Conserve energy and water Be healthier and safer for occupants Reduce harmful greenhouse gas emissions Qualify for tax rebates, zoning allowances and other incentives in hundreds of cities
22. Green Lodge is a searchable database in the U.S. that have been certified by independent 3rd parties including Audubon GreenLeaf, Green Seal, LEED and Energy Star - to name a few where consumers can research, locate and book green hotels.
23. The Energy Star keeps check on the energy efficiency of hotels. There are various rating of the electrical equipments.
25. THE EU ECOLABEL is an official sign of the environmental quality of services and goods in the European Union (EU). since 2003. The operators must meet strict minimum standards with regard to environmental performance and health standards. These should include the use of renewable energy sources, an overall reduction in energy and water consumption, measures to reduce waste, environmental policy setting and the provision of non-smoking areas.
26. ECOROOMS offers an on-line directory of environmentally friendly hotels, resorts, inns, motels and B&Bs which meet a set of rigorous, beyond green washing, standards called "Significant 7."
27. RezHub Identifies eco-friendly hotels, itemizes their initiatives and actions and scores the properties - all within the booking path
28. Eco Hotels Certified This certification stands for more ecology, more sustainability and more rationality in a business. It is certification of sustainably operating tourism businesses and takes account of their total resource use.
29. BIO Hotels covers organic and regional products in Hotels. BIO Hotels uses only organic certified products
30. The Green Good Housekeeping Seal is an emblem signifying that a product has met Good Housekeepings environmental criteria. Once a product has earned the Good Housekeeping Seal it is evaluated on a wide range of environmental criteriaincluding ingredient and product safety, reduction of water use in manufacturing, energy efficiency in manufacturing and product use, packaging reduction, greenhouse gas emissions, and the brand's corporate social responsibility.
31. NSF/ANSI 336: Sustainability Assessment for Commercial Furnishings Fabric of furnishing fabric products, including woven, non- woven, bonded and knitted fabrics used for upholstery (e.g. office and hotel furniture),
32. ECO certification ECO certification is an ecolabel given out by the Malta Tourism Authority to hotels on the islands of Malta. Approximately 15% of hotels on the Maltese Islands are ECO certified translating to almost 30% of hotel rooms environmental management, waste magement, procurement, energy, water, air quality, noise, building and green areas, local culture, and information dissemination.
33. The Green Key Eco-Rating Program is a graduated rating system designed to recognize lodging facilities that are committed to improving their fiscal and environmental performance.
34. EcoLabel Luxembourg Up to now, the certificate has been awarded to 37 accommodations, All of them have to meet a compulsory and rigorous set of criteria focusing on energy and water efficiency (e.g. efficiency of lighting and heating, use of renewable energies, insulation, purchase of energy efficient devices, low-consumption appliances), waste prevention and waste management, sustainable purchasing of office supplies (e.g. recycled paper), use of organic, locally grown and fair trade produce, support of public transport and cycle hire options for their guests, use of eco-cleaners etc.
35. EU Energy Label By law, the European Community Energy Label must be displayed on all new household products displayed for sale, hire or hire-purchase. The Directive applies to the following types of household appliances, even where these are sold for non-household uses: refrigerators, freezers and their combinations; washing machines, dryers and their combinations; dishwashers; ovens; water heaters and hot-water storage appliances; lighting sources; air- conditioning appliances.
36. Bio Suisse indicates fully organic, produced in Switzerland. More than 90% of the raw materials come from Switzerland.