1. The Business Of The Cloud Chris JT Auld Ryan CrawCour 1 March 2010
2. Allocated IT-capacities Load Forecast Not Enough Power = Grumpy Customers& Grumpy CEO Too Much Power=Grumpy CFO IT CAPACITY ActualLoad TIME
3. A Big Yellow Knob!
4. Load Forecast No screaming customers = Quiet CEO Golf Days Capacity on Demand IT CAPACITY No capital laying idle =Happy CFO Knob goes up... And... down Lower Capex ActualLoad Time
6. Two Types of Cloud Stuff Cloud Applications Cloud Platforms Software as a Service Someone else builds it You rock up with your credit card Set the knob to how much you want Use the service, paying for what you use E.g. Email/BPOS, CRM Online, Online Payroll, What Xero sells you Platform as a Service You build an app You stick it in someones giant data centre They feed and water it Set the knob to how much power you need E.g. Online ticketing, Technical computing/analysis, modellingWhat Xero would buy themselves
7. Growing Fast On and Off Inactivity Period Compute Compute Average Usage Usage Average Time Time On and off workloads (e.g. batch job) Over provisioned capacity is wasted Time to market can be cumbersome E.g. Financial batch processing Successful services needs to grow/scale Keeping up w/growth is big IT challenge Complex lead time for deployment E.g. Scale fast or Fail fast startups Unpredictable Bursting Predictable Bursting Compute Compute Average Usage Average Usage Time Time Unexpected/unplanned peak in demand Sudden spike impacts performance Cant over provision for extreme cases E.g. Sudden news events Services with micro seasonality trends Peaks due to periodic increased demand IT complexity and wasted capacity E.g. Online ticketing
8. DEDICATED CLOUD PUBLIC CLOUD Secure CloudFederation ENTERPRISE PRIVATE CLOUD INTERNAL IT
9. Dark Clouds
11. How Secure Is Your Data Centre? + +
12. Data Sovereignty
13. Dynamics In The Cloud
14. 2 column comparison list CRM Online SaaS Based Offering Limited Availability Outside USA Cannot run custom code CRM 5 Online Big focus on the Cloud Cant say much more yet..
15. Low Hanging Fruit
16. Office Communications Online Email? Worried about email. Use BPOS. Dynamics CRM OnlineTalk to us in 60 Days Identify peaking workloads. Does is justify migration cost? Trial the Cloud during short run campaigns