Text of Sermon Slide Deck: "Always Ready" (Luke 12:35-40)
1. Always Ready The Gospel of Luke 12:35-40
2. God Gives Us His Words of Eternal Life Luke 12:35-48 Found on page 871-872 in our guest Bibles. Todays Scripture:
3. ?What should be the focus of the follower of Jesus in the here and now
4. Always Ready The Gospel of Luke 12:35-40
5. 35 Stay dressed for action and keep your lamps burning, 36 and be like men who are waiting for their master to come home from the wedding feast, so that they may open the door to him at once when he comes and knocks. Luke 12:35-40
6. Live like a faithful and expectant servant #1
7. 37 Blessed are those servants whom the master nds awake when he comes. Luke 12:35-40
8. 37 Blessed are those servants whom the master nds awake when he comes. Truly, I say to you, he will dress himself for service and have them recline at table, and he will come and serve them. Luke 12:35-40
9. 38 If he comes in the second watch, or in the third, and nds them awake, blessed are those servants! Luke 12:35-40
10. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. ~ Jesus of Nazareth in The Gospel of Mark 10:45
11. 39 But know this, that if the master of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would not have left his house to be broken into. 40 You also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect. Luke 12:35-40
12. Live like a wise and alert homeowner #2
13. ~ The Apostle Paul in 1 Thessalonians 5:2-4 While people are saying, There is peace and security, then destruction will come upon them as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. But you are not in darkness, brothers, for that day to surprise you like a thief.
14. We live 750,000 days closer to the return, and indeed, Christs return will always be on a statistically improbable day, when the world doesnt expect him.
15. But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. ~ The Apostle Peter in 2 Peter 3:10 (NIV)
16. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. ~ The Apostle Peter in 2 Peter 3:10 (NIV)
17. God has appointed a day in which he will judge the world in righteousness by Jesus Christ, to whom all power and judgment has been given by the Father.
18. In that day.all people who have ever lived on earth appear before the judgment seat of Christ in order to give an account of their thoughts, words, and deeds, and to receive judgment according to what they have done in the body, whether good or evil.
19. As Christ would have us to absolutely convinced that there will be a day of judgment, both to deter all men from sin and to give a greater consolation to the godly in their adversity, so will he have that day unknown to men, that they may shake off all carnal security,
20. may always be watchful because they do not know at what hour the Lord will comeand may always be prepared to say, Come, Lord Jesus. Come quickly. Amen.
21. Why does Luke record this account in his historical biography of Jesus? Important Question
22. To be always ready for the return of Christ means living for him with an undistracted life.
23. Christian & Faithful at Vanity Fair in John Bunyans Pilgrims Progress
24. ?How do we know if we are ready for the return of the Lord Jesus
25. Were ready when we trust in the Lord Jesus 1
26. Were ready when we live for the Lord Jesus 2
27. For the love of Christ compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and he died for all that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again. ~ The Apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 5:14-15
28. Were ready when we long for the Lord Jesus 3
29. For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say No to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self- controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hopethe appearing of the glory of our great God and Saviour, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us ~ The Apostle Paul in Titus 2:11-14 (NIV)
30. He who testifies to these things says, Surely I am coming soon. Amen. Come, Lord Jesus! ~ The Apostle John in Revelation 22:20
31. image credit: C.K. Koay https://www.ickr.com/photos/ceekay/337667479/ https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/ flickr images courtesy of: image credit: Shawn Carpenter https://www.ickr.com/photos/spcbrass/4744175365/ https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ other images used for educational purposes: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/german-fans-london-champions-league-nal-dortmund-471245 Shutterstock: Image ID:362574896 / wk1003mike image credit: GabrielVillena https://www.ickr.com/photos/gvillena/4745275233/ https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ image credit: John Fowler https://www.ickr.com/photos/snowpeak/11809389036/ https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2578972/YouTube-video-shows-American-tourist-making-Queens-guardsman-smile-comic-routine.html http://www.redeemedreader.com/2011/10/dangerous-journey-part-6/ other images: