Literacy For The 21st Century
Embed Size (px)
Comparison of 20th vs. 21st century skills needed to be successful in education.
Text of Literacy For The 21st Century
- 1. Literacy for the 21 stCentury A Brave New World By Viki Gardner
2. Literacy for the 21 stCentury
- is not based on do you know it?
3. Literacy for the 21 stcentury
- rather on can you find it, analyze it, adapt it, and synthesize it?
4. Literacy for the 21 stcentury
- reading,writing,and arithmetic
5. Literacy for the 21 stcentury
- rather on analyzing the differences between viewpoint-clashing Web sites, blogging responsibly, and cash management online
Reading Writing Arithmetic 6. Literacy for the 21 stCentury
- resilience and strategies to cope with constant change, including dealing with failure and taking risks.
- the ability to easily learn, unlearn and relearn.
- how to deal with massive amounts of information and what to do with it.
- creativity, global awareness, diversity, critical thinking, problem solving, and digital citizenship.
7. Literacy for the 21 stCentury is about the Digital Immigrant learning from the Digital Native www.teach42.com/2007/10/22/815/ 8. Literacy for the 21 stCentury
- should permit more opportunities in the curriculum for play and imagination because we are preparing students for jobs that havent even been invented yet.
9. Literacy for the 21 stcentury
- should include teacher preparation and professional development programs that integrate and model 21st Century skills in method and delivery, and guide teachers in utilizing new technology.
- should bring teachers together to build communities so that they can get the support they need outside of the classroom.
- should include teachers sharing best practices first with each other and then beyond their own schools through virtual learning communities.
10. Literacy for the 21 stcentury
- doesn't mean our schools are failing
11. Literacy for the 21 stCentury
- rather, the times are changing so rapidly that our schools can't keep up.
12. Literacy for the 21 stCentury
- We must adapt and advance our education system or the world will leave us behind.
13. Photos Cited
- Slide 2:http://philsbackupsite.wordpress.com/2008/10/28/
- Slide 8: 1)http://www.edgewoodexecutiveeducation.com/c_img/thinkerswanted.jpg
- Slide 10: 4.bp.blogspot.com