1. Introducing kids to the world through language and culture learning We are a nonprofit enrichment program that offers world language and culture classes to elementary and middle school students throughout the Puget Sound region.
2. Boosts confidence in learning another language Fosters an understanding and awareness of people from different backgrounds Accent free pronunciation Strengthens cognitive and linguistic development Prepares students for a globally competitive world Provides a positive, fun, and engaging learning environment Benefits of WLCA
3. Curriculum and Classroom Design Max and Carmen are WLCA characters that take students on a travel adventure in countries that speak the target language. Students learn about another country and learn the language through these stories. Teachers use a method called Teaching Proficiency through Reading and Storytelling (TPRS) when reading the Max & Carmen stories. M eet M ax. Hes a travel photographer. Meet Carmen. Shes Maxs tour guide and language teacher. Unit 5: Max and Carmen visit Machu Picchu in Peru!
4. Curriculum and Classroom Design There are 4 lesson per unit, and each unit contains a variety of games, crafts, songs, and activities that reinforce the unit vocabulary. Each unit contains a Max & Carmen story and an activity related to another country/culture. Based on the methodology of Total Physical Response and Natural Approach. UNITS 1: Introductions 2: Days, Months 3: Colors, Clothing 4: Marine Animals 5: Food (lunch, dinner, vegetables) 6: Food (Breakfast, fruit) 7: Farm Animals 8: Sports 9: Body Parts 10: People UNITS 1: Introductions 2: Days, Months 3: Colors, Clothing 4: Marine Animals 5: Food (lunch, dinner, vegetables) 6: Food (Breakfast, fruit) 7: Farm Animals 8: Sports 9: Body Parts 10: People Year 2 Spanish Curriculum Unit Themes:
5. Native speakers, or have near native cababilities. Extremely passionate about sharing their language and culture. All teachers go through a background check. All teachers are trained on the WLCA methodology and curriculum. WLCA Teachers
6. When: Before or after school hours Location: School facilities Grades: K-8 Duration: 40 minutes Session Packages: 10-40 classes *30 classes is highly recommended for adequate base learning. Language: Determined by parents/school. Cost: Varies by area Enrollment: Minimum of 8, maximum of 15 How it works!
7. Thank you! merci Danke grazie obrigado gracias! Get classes started today! Email firstname.lastname@example.org Call (206) 217-9644 ext. 220 Visit our website for more info: www.cultural.org/wlca Check out this video to learn more about classes: http://vimeo.com/71782615